Brass Barbed Fittings

/ Brass Barbed Fittings #1  

koziol41

Hi All.Will be working on water lines in my barn and it is kinda a tight space to get my fingers in.Is there a easy way of connecting a hose end to a barbed fitting with very little space?The fitting will all ready be attached to a shut off valve that supplies water to the automamic horse warterer(Nelson Brand)
Any tips/tricks would be great.Thank You

/ Brass Barbed Fittings #2  
Use a hair dryer or heat gun to heat the hose up. It will expand over the barb more easily.

Put the barb on the hose end and then screw it into the valve. The hose will twist around the barb. Then tighten the clamp.

If the hose is flexible, reverse wind it up the number of turns you need to get a tight fitting, then screw it in.

Run a metal extension from the valve to a more accessable area so there is more room to work it.

If this is a concrete floor issue, chop out a more convenient access area and fill it in later. This is useful when you need to replace a leaker in 10 years and you have even less patience with the closed space.

If this is an underground installation issue, hang your ankles from a chain on a front-end loader and have someone lower you into the pit.

/ Brass Barbed Fittings #3  
or carefully with a propane torch. have all stainless steel hose clamps ready be it cools for a nice tight fit

/ Brass Barbed Fittings #4  
I've used a propane torch to warm the plastic. The key is to do it slowly so it is warm all the way through, and down the hose a few extra inches too. Then it will hold the heat longer while you slide it on. You'll be surprised how soft the plastic will get and it should go on easily. I've had to use a hammer handle to tap the fitting into the hose sometimes. Worst case scenario will be you only get it partially on before it cools... no big deal as you just warm it up again and finish the job.
I usually apply a liberal amount of saliva to the inside of the hose just before sliding it on. I've tried the lubes but they end up getting on the outside and make it difficult to get a grip on things.