Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 2520, JD X749, JD110TLB

Default 32" Doug Fir stump - Do I have a chance of success?

Well, the tree I recently cut down is now in the way for my new projects. It has to go. I spent half a day on it so far. Any thoughts? I'll keep digging tomorrow. Do I have a chance for success? If not, what should I do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 32" Doug Fir stump - Do I have a chance of success?-ht0_3418small-jpg  

Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
    Tractor
    John Deere 110 TLB

Default Re: 32" Doug Fir stump - Do I have a chance of success?

Dyn-o-mite? Burn it out? But that's a nice looking 110 you got there.

Tractor
    JD 2520, JD X749, JD110TLB

Quote Originally Posted by two_bit_score View Post
    Dyn-o-mite? Burn it out? But that's a nice looking 110 you got there.
    Too close to the house. The picture was taken from the kitchen doorway.

So far, I like the 110.

Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
    Tractor
    John Deere 110 TLB

I haven't done a stump that big with my 110. If it's too close to burn or blast then I'd probably just keep digging and cutting roots until it comes out. What will you fill the hole with?

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

Keep digging -- it will come out.
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    1973Ford 4000

Underneath that stump is a big hooking tap root that you will have to deal with. I have been involved with a couple of projects like that and we were using a 580 case. I don't have any idea how the 580 compares to the one you are using. By the time we got the stump, we had a hole about 5ft across and maybe 4 ft deep.
    Wishing you the best of luck.

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

Perseverance.. You have most of the job done now. You might lash a chain around it as high as you can. Then drive a few spikes through the chain links to keep it from popping off and smacking you. Then tug on it with the tractor to lift it at an angle to expose the roots. Then cut them off with your saw or maybe even a gas torch..
    1st Peter 1:6-9

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Every stump will come out, it's just a matter of persistence on your part.

From the picture, I don't think you have taken out enough dirt around the sides. Keep digging. I've had them hold tight until I dug down as deep as I could, all the way around. What really kills me, is I'll fight and fight a stump while digging around it, but then change sides and it pops loose.

Those tap roots make them harder to get out, but it's not that bad. I think the suction of the ground on the bottom of the root ball is what keeps it there more then anything else. And that suction, for whatever reason, is very strong on most sides, but always seems to have a week side. The trick is finding that week side before digging any further then you have to.

Good luck, if you take out enough dirt, it will break free.

Eddie

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615HST

In the future, if possible, cut your tree higher up. The higher the better. That way you will have some leverage. Put a snatch block around a neighboring tree. Put a chain around the cut tree trunk, and use a winch, or comealong to ratchet it over. I've done this successfully many times. I hope I made sense with my explanation.
    Last edited by AchingBack; 03-21-2009 at 02:10 AM.
    I thank God for these gifts: 2005 Mahindra 2615 HST w/loader, (485 hours), and 3710 backhoe. Markham tooth bar, Bush Hog SQ60 rotary cutter, Bush Hog 3507 angle blade, Bush Hog LLR84 landscape rake w/gauge wheels, Rankin loader mounted forks, Paumco Quick Spade, Agri-Ease 3 point log splitter.

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

I did an oak stump with my JD 48 hoe and swore I wouldn't do it again, mine was smaller than yours plus I left the trunk about 20 ft high to give me more leverage when pulling with my truck. (like AchingBack mentioned)

It still took several hours, I was surprised how easy it was to dig around the stump ripping up the roots but it would not go over even with hard pulling at the top of the trunk! This stump had no tap root and the roots were not deep at all, you can see by the length of the trunk how much leverage I had, I can't imagine how much longer it would have taken me with a short stump.

JB.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 32" Doug Fir stump - Do I have a chance of success?-p4253970-jpg   32" Doug Fir stump - Do I have a chance of success?-p4253976-jpg   32" Doug Fir stump - Do I have a chance of success?-p4253978-jpg  
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast