utility pole fort begun with pics

/ utility pole fort begun with pics
Have been making steady progress as my schedule allows but haven't updated. We are almost finished with what we can do now. I got up all the framework and yesterday put up the roof headers and joists. My wife is happy since it has the fence around it. We still have to add a small trap door for a bucket and pulley system to get things up--you know like soda and snacks... The area where the roofing tin is at my friends house is very muddy so it will be a few months until we get to that portion. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• DSC01956.JPG
    DSC01956.JPG
    586.3 KB · Views: 862
  • DSC01957.JPG
    DSC01957.JPG
    581.5 KB · Views: 1,229
  • DSC01958turned.jpg
    DSC01958turned.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 685
  • DSC01959turned.jpg
    DSC01959turned.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 1,659
Last edited:
   / utility pole fort begun with pics #12  
Craigs list around here has poles on a regular basis

/ utility pole fort begun with pics #13  
I'm curious as to where you got the poles and how much they cost?

my uncle caught the local utility linemen replaceing all the poles on the highway outside his house. HE stoped and asked if he could get some. They said how many do you want? He asked how many can i get. The linemen looked down the road and pointed "see all those".

Each day after the end of the day they would stop at his house and drop off a load of about 8. In exchange he sent them home with a case of beer.

he would up with like 30 poles in all.

/ utility pole fort begun with pics #14  
I just came across this thread and was wondering how it turned out? Did you finish it?

Eddie

/ utility pole fort begun with pics #15  
hmmmm, another great idea......

thanks for bringing it back up...

/ utility pole fort begun with pics #16  
I just came across this thread and was wondering how it turned out? Did you finish it?

Eddie

Eddie, he told me in my thread that it is finished. All that is different is that he put some old tin up on the roof. The rest is open as it is more of a fort then a hunting stand for his kid.

All I did after those pics was to put up the rafters and put some old barn tin on the top. It is in the trees so we have been out there in a downpour without getting wet. I hung it over the sides about 8 inches on all 4 sides. It is about 100 feet from the house.

It is withing 10 yeards of a heavily used game trail so we should be able to get some turkeys from it too. We aren't into deer hunting right now but may in the future.

I have also added an alarm system (old fashioned dinner triangle to be used while under attack from "enemy forces") a provision replenishment system (bucket and pulley for snacks and drinks) and a sheild system (scrap wood). a girls OK/no girls reversible sign and also some bb gun holders. My son is 8 if you can't tell. I also set up an area between the rafters separated by years. Whenever he has a new buddy up there they sign it. I figure over the years this will be pretty cool to see who all enjoyed it. I imagine in the teenage years there might even be some girls names too!

I wanted to build the roof stout as I know that someday when I am not around he will be up there. I thought about spray painting on the roof "if I catch you up here you are grounded!"

He plays up there (the fort--not the roof) often. I have had 3 wasp nest built underneath this summer so try to check often. I would hate him to have a friend over and then have to call a parent with that.

Here are some pics from this am. the last one shows the proximity to the house. Directly behind the fort is a game trail that is on the edge of 10 acres of timber.

Attachments

• DSC02032.JPG
    DSC02032.JPG
    588.5 KB · Views: 1,595
  • DSC02034.JPG
    DSC02034.JPG
    555.6 KB · Views: 466
  • DSC02035.JPG
    DSC02035.JPG
    569.4 KB · Views: 593
  • DSC02037.JPG
    DSC02037.JPG
    579.8 KB · Views: 524
   / utility pole fort begun with pics #20  
Very nice. Lucky kid. Not every parent goes to those lengths for their child.