utility pole fort begun with pics

/ utility pole fort begun with pics #1  

tornadowatchranch

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat 335 for the fun stuff JD gt235 for the lawn
My neighbor came over to help start the utility pole fort this morning before the KU game. We dug the holes with a tractor so it counts as a tractor project (no camera for that). We used his TLB to lift them into the holes. We first cut them to length and then brought them 2 at a time to the job site. I put a 5 inch spike in the pole to keep the chain from slipping and lifted them using a chain. We actually put them in small side down due to the hole size. These are 46 inches deep. I used some 2x4s as temp cross bracing. The finished size will be 10 x 10 about 8 feet up. I will use eddie's suggestion for a double 2x12 as a header on each side and 2x10 as joists on hangers. Storms this week so hopefully next week my nephew will be able to come up to help with the rest (he wants to turkey hunt out of it). The pic is decieving--the posts are plumb-- my camera and the surrounding trees are not. The last pic is to make my wife nervous and the reason for the project.

Attachments

• DSC01864.JPG
    DSC01864.JPG
    558.9 KB · Views: 517
  • DSC01874.JPG
    DSC01874.JPG
    580.3 KB · Views: 556
  • DSC01884.JPG
    DSC01884.JPG
    598.6 KB · Views: 1,114
  • DSC01883.JPG
    DSC01883.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 848
   / utility pole fort begun with pics #2  
I'm curious as to where you got the poles and how much they cost? I've been thinking of using some as logs on my sons dirtbike track if they don't cost an arm and a leg ;)

/ utility pole fort begun with pics
My neighbors son is a lineman. These were old poles that were removed about six miles from the house to widen a road. The "good ol boy network" got me 11 poles delivered to my yard for $100 and a case of beer. I have heard that you can by them from your local utility for about 40 cents per foot. The problem is getting them home!!!

/ utility pole fort begun with pics #4  
You are lucky to even get some.

Around here that's a no-no due to 'environmental issues' as creosote and or other preservatives.

Funny that hydro can use but we can't.

/ utility pole fort begun with pics #6  
Looks good I had the same question about where and how much for the poles. I fixed your 3rd pic before someone falls off of their chair;)

Attachments

• DSC01884.JPG
    DSC01884.JPG
    351.1 KB · Views: 614
   / utility pole fort begun with pics #7  
my friend works for the power company and he brings about 10 twenty foot poles home on a gooseneck. He gets them FOR FREE!! and he gives me some whenever I need some!

Taylor

/ utility pole fort begun with pics #8  
When I worked in North NJ, my boss got free poles that were too short to be re-used. We lined the fenceline with them so backing in a trailer would keep from hitting and bending the fence.

Eventually we had to stop them from bringing more...

/ utility pole fort begun with pics #10  
...The last pic is to make my wife nervous and the reason for the project.

Build it well since you may end up living in it. :D