My new Barn/Shop

/ My new Barn/Shop #1  

DTCOOPER

Bronze Member
Tractor
02 CIH D33
Well guys I finally bi the bullet.. I bought all of the components for my Barn/Shop..
30x40x12' sidewalls, 2-12 pitch roof, all steel.. 4" posts, trusses, all metal, screws, 12' roll up door, 3'8"x7' walk door, etc..
Got the place cleared for it, near perfectly level... Now it's pouring rain here in East Texas..
Of course, I gotta decide: Instant Gratification, go ahead and build the shop now, and pour in concrete later. OR Wait a month or two to fund the slab (not gonna borrow any money to do it.. I have no debt, and don't care to incur any), and build it all then.
I know Eddie will tell me that if I don't pour it now, I never will...
What do the rest of you guys think??
Who has actually built on dirt, then added a concrete slab "later" ??

/ My new Barn/Shop #2  
I poured after it was framed. Not a problem a little harder for concrete cont.
It was summer then was hot and humid in side.Really couldn use shop because doors not set till after slab poured.It was a long to weeks to wait.
Good luck with that waiting thing. Framer

/ My new Barn/Shop #3  
Daniel,

Good to hear of your progress. Did you find a concrete guy? I'm sort of looking for one right now as I've had issues with the last guy I used and the one that I liked, went off the deep end with his drinking.

It's really not all that harder for a crew to pour the concrete after the barn is built, but it does make building it a little easier to have the slab in place. If you don't have to have it right now and want to get started building, then it seems like a pretty easy decision.

The only concern is to make sure to get the concrete poured as soon as you can after you finish building. The longer you wait, the more stuff that you put into the barn, the harder it will be to get it all cleared out to pour the concrete. I met a guy who has been talking about pouring concrete in his barn for over 30 years, but just doesn't have the time to get it all cleared out to do the pour. On my first barn, I put down rock and planed on pouring concrete for 2 years. It never happened. The guy who owns it now has also been telling me he's going to pour concrete, but has been putting it off. Every year, you just get more stuff in there and it gets harder and harder to get around to it.

My shop has concrete floors and it's the only way to go. Doing anything on dirt or rock is just terrible.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ My new Barn/Shop #4  
Daniel -

Congratulations on the start of your project - that sounds like just the right size. Nice large doors also - very handy. I'll be interested to see how it turns out for you.

Eddie -

Thanks for your insight. I've been thinking of building a barn/shop and was considering pouring after construction when I saved up enough for concrete. But, I'm a packrat, and you're right - I'll have it filled and never get it poured.

So I'll take your advice and pour the slab first. I'm still a long way from starting, but I like to have things all planned out ahead of time.

-- Marty

/ My new Barn/Shop #5  
clever use of the skidding tongs on your loader. I presume you have that set up so you can load heavier logs than your forks can manage with the longer distance from the pivot

/ My new Barn/Shop
Thanks for the inspiration and suggestions guys..
I could not believe the price I got on the building.. I had to drive about 180 miles to buy it, but I got it ALL (including doors, hardware for doors, etc) out the door for under 7 grand..
All of the material sure did not look like much when stacked and strapped to a 40' gooseneck trailer. LOL
Now I just need it to quit raining before the weekend, so I can really get started good.

/ My new Barn/Shop #7  
I would wait for the slab, it is really hard to roll a creeper on dirt or gravel.

/ My new Barn/Shop #8  
From what I've seen, most barns without a concrete floor are dry, dirty, and dusty messes. The dust gets kicked up everytime you walk across the floor and settles on everything. Anytime you touch something or rub up against it, you will be covered in dust. I don't think you will ever regret doing the slab first, but you might really regret not doing it.

/ My new Barn/Shop #9  
Daniel,

That sure is a cheap price that you paid for your barn. Is it a wood pole barn? Does it have wooden trusses? What gauge metal did it come with for the roof and sides? For that price, I'm very interested in what you got and who you bought it from. I'm bidding out a barn for a client and would be very interested in taking a look at the barns they offer.

Thanks,
Eddie

/ My new Barn/Shop
Eddie,
Check your voicemail and give me a call back !!
It's ALL steel.. " Steel Poles, 3x2 steel purlin trusses, truss gussets, steel everything...
Included ALL trim, peak, rake, corner, door, etc.. All screws.. 26 gauge panels for roof and walls. You can even add an insulation kit for about a grand that includes longer screws, all insulation, etc..

Give me a call !!