Security Camera update

/ Security Camera update #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
We have had the discussion of using security cameras here, I have a couple of systems I swear by.

That said, I have a system that has been giving me fits. Video comes and goes (noisy), audio drops...

Well I went through a huge nightmare of replacing cables, figuring something was bad in one. The camera itself continued to check out fine.

Well, it turned out it was the little plug in the wall transformer. The cheapo transformer that came with the camera was complete junk, and I should have noticed it upfront when it weighed next to nothing for its size.

Anyway, as we are all trying to keep our stuff secure I thought I would ad to the list.

/ Security Camera update #2  
Do any of your systems include network cameras? I was thinking of setting up a network system at a property that I don't get out to that much but there's no internet connection. Thinking of how I can just use an air card without a computer to monitor my cameras.

/ Security Camera update #3  
You can get a router that will use an air card as the WAN connection. No PC required.
Mike

/ Security Camera update #4  
Great info Mike, I'm on it. Thanks!

/ Security Camera update
Hold on. You said you do not have internet at your site. Do you have a phone connection and can you then get internet? If not, I know of no way for you to view a camera from a seperate location unless you have an alternate method of information transmission. I hear that someone may have a device that runs off of a cellphone but....

Assuming I am misunderstanding your need, the wireless cameras have a couple of issues. Limit of distance of signal and they need power. They still have to have a wire running to them for power. Generally transmission distance is around 100 to 200 feet line of sight.

If you can hook a wireless router up to the internet, then you can use a wireless camera and view from somewhere else over the internet, or have images emailed to you at either a specific time, or if some movement happens on frame.

One of my systems has a DVR. A dedicated Security recorder on site. It also sends me emails when someone moves through the image (generally dogs and birds).

The other system hooks directly to a computer that will run my house as I start some upgrades.

Also, If you have a remote site, but you have power and no interenet, you can buy a DVR pretty reasonably, set up a system and just leave it running. If you see something amiss you can check your hard drive for the culprits.

Also, someone here in this group uses a hunting camera, the kind you set up to see what game is moving through an area. It takes stills only but still works.

/ Security Camera update #6  
As far as power you can go solar. Most wireless cameras run off of 12VDC and is easily handled by a small solar array and battery. Distance can be increased by using a directional antenna. Router with air card???? I need to look into that one.