Folding ropes..

/ Folding ropes.. #1  

jd2305cd

Silver Member
Thought I would share this lil project.. Haven't even got the tractor yet, hopefully tomorrow or Saturday (2305)...

At any rate won't fit in the geeeerage, so making it fold.. :) Going to be hinged and pin setup..

Cut two pieces of tube steel 10" long, then cut 5" of one side off. The 2305 rops are 2", they will fit snug in this tubing.
downsize5.jpg

Then made a cut along the side to open her up:
downsize4.jpg

Cleaned up the surface for the welding..
downsize2.jpg

Then squared up the hing, tacked it in place in each bolt hole, rag is soaked with water to keep the heat out of the hings rubber spacers..
downsize3.jpg

All finished, for now :)
downsizeo.jpg

Can't wait to get it home and start playing, after this is the grapple.. :)

/ Folding ropes.. #2  
Looks Great. Keep us posted. We also broke the fabled "Do not touch your ROPS unless you are washing it..." law, and I will post pics once it is completed.

/ Folding ropes..
Looks Great. Keep us posted. We also broke the fabled "Do not touch your ROPS unless you are washing it..." law, and I will post pics once it is completed.

Thanks! I have never been good at following the rules :D Please do post some shots, might give me an idea...

/ Folding ropes.. #4  
Looks good. You may want a bolt on the opposite side from the hinge point to put tension on the ROPs once you place the pins in. If not the rattling noise will drive you nuts.

/ Folding ropes..
Great idea, thanks.... I'll add it on..

/ Folding ropes.. #6  
This will not be received well, but I think it looks terrible-just being honest here. Those hinges look very weak for the intended application.

You should of at least copied the way JD does it on theirs to make it more professional looking and not just welded on some cheap barn door hinges.

Flame suit on...

/ Folding ropes.. #7  
hello i agree with kenny hinges arent strong enough in the avent of rollover.

/ Folding ropes.. #8  
I would think that if he is pinning the ROPES into the reciever it shouldent matter what the hinges look like?

/ Folding ropes..
If you thought about it for a minute or two you might understand it better.. The pins are what will keep it up, don't even need the hinges at all. Hinges are just for my easy of use, so i can fold it up and down quick. I could have just welded a tube on and slide the top rops in and out when i wanted them. Hinges don't provide any support what so ever..

Not flaming Kenny! But if you want to share your opinion/thoughts, specially with 5000 post/senior member i would think you would atleast do it with out being insulting and prickish??

/ Folding ropes.. #10  
Not flaming Kenny! But if you want to share your opinion/thoughts, specially with 5000 post/senior member i would think you would atleast do it with out being insulting and prickish??

I am sorry if I came off that way-that was not my intention. Let me try to say it a different way:

JD2320, Since you obviously know how to fabricate and weld, why not stop at the dealer and take some pictures and/or make a cardboard template of the the way JD hinges the factory folding ROPS on the 2320 and the 2520 machines. It would look much more professional than the barn door hinges you are using.

Did I do better that time?;)