New Grass not Growing

/ New Grass not Growing #1  

jtette

Tractor
2000 JD 4400
I seeded my lawn last Saturday, 4/18, and no sign of any growth today whatsoever. I live in Western New York. Here's the background. Last fall I used round up to kill the grass, then I rototilled it. Total area of about 1.5 acres. In March, I landscape raked and graded it. Last Saturday, I spread triple 10 fertilizer, then had someone harley rake it, then I broadcast seeded, the he blew on mulched straw. The problem is that I've encountered the following conditions since:

Saturday (day of seeding): 20 mph winds, sunny, and around 59. Low in 40's.
Sunday: 20 mph winds, cloudy but no rain, and around mid 50's. Sunday night low in 40's.
Monday: rain all day with highs in the low 40's. Overnight low in mid 30's but no frost.
Tuesday: same as Monday.
Wednesday: Clearing, but still in the 40's. Overnight low in high 30's.
Thursday: Sunny, high in the 50's and winds around 20 mph. Low in the mid 40's.
Friday and Saturday: Sunny and warm, high near 80 and lowes in the mid 60's. Saturday night, heavy rain and low around 58.
Today: sunny and 60 with winds in the 15 mph range.

About 40% of the straw is either gone or setting on other areas where straw remained intact. Where the straw is gone, I don't see any visible grass seed (or grass for that matter). There is no peach fuzz apparent anywhere. If I lift the straw, I see seed underneath, but no visible germination.

My question is at what point do I bail and just reseed? I'm afraid that with the cold nights and heavy rains, the seed may have spoiled. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• P4260089.jpg
    P4260089.jpg
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 786
  • P4260090.jpg
    P4260090.jpg
    1,010 KB · Views: 1,515
   / New Grass not Growing #2  
sounds like you havent given it enough time.i seed yards all the time it takes anywhere from 7 to 21 days im my area,,[ tennessee ] dont give up yet ...just give it time . some my have washed away...but if you are using fescue. it is a cool season grass it loves cold nights.. when it comes up you can go back and scratch the areas that didnt come up with a hand rake and just put more seed on your bare spots..it has happend to me on more than one occasion ,,,good luck Bruce neal tractor works

/ New Grass not Growing #3  
germination temps are much higher than regular growth temps for fescue. anywhere from 50 - 60 degrees and plan on 10 days at that temp. lower temps take longer. keep in mind this is soil temp and air temps are usually quite a bit higher.

keep it moist and give it another week or two. unless you used old seed, you should see growth once night time temps stay warm enough that the soil sees a constant 50 degree temp. use a themometer to check the temps first thing in the morning to see what your soil is doing.

also keep in mind that watering will lower the soil temp due to evaporative cooling so even if the day and night temps are warm enough, the moist soil will be cooler. this is one of the many reasons you should seed a lawn in the fall....

amp

/ New Grass not Growing #4  
Yep, keep it moist and be patient. You might re-seed the areas blown clean, then recover them with straw/grass clippings to retain the moisture. I have found it takes a VERY long time for the seeds to crack if they don't have nearly constant moisture.

/ New Grass not Growing
The area in the pictures behind the new seeding were done in late August a couple of years back and I was mowing before the end of the season. I didn't have the luxury of a fall seeding this time though because I tilled too late in the season. I didn't get my tiller until late October. Thanks for the advice.

/ New Grass not Growing #6  
its been too cold for growing anything. grass finally got to the point where it started to grow last week and grow here in central new York. The soil temps need to be higher for grass seeds to start growing. It may seem warm enough to grow grass, but keep in mind its the air temps warming up the soil temp. How wet or moist is the soil ? If your lawn is clay like, it will take awhile before its ready to grow grass. Give it another two weeks and then evaluate then.

/ New Grass not Growing #7  
as others have said give it some time. been kind of cold for new grass to start comming in.

/ New Grass not Growing #8  
If you dragged the area after seeding it, there will probably be enough seed left in the soil. If you didn't drag it before blowing on the straw, then your seed is likely drifted into the same areas your straw moved from the winds. Either way, time will tell. The soil temps should just now (after the past few warm days) be right for germination. The next good soaking rain should kick it into gear and you'll see the fuzz a few days after that. The difference between now and when you fall seeded is the soild temperature. Fall seeding takes advantage warmer soil left over from summer heat.

/ New Grass not Growing #9  
I didn't see where you mention the type of grass seed you put down. If fescue, or another cool season grass, then I think everyone is right and it needs more time. With the temps you listed it could take a while until the ground temps get right but it will happen.

Now if you seeded with a warm season grass I think you were too early and will have to wait even longer with over seeding a possible option in a month.

MarkV

/ New Grass not Growing #10  
i've seeded many lawns and a few things i've learned over the past....soil must be warm for seed to germinate successfully. keep it moist...once you get the seed wet, keep it wet. you lose 10% of your sprouts everytime you let the soil dry out. i always double the recommended seed amount per area if i do a large area if i know i won't be able to keep up with the watering. you should see 'hair' within 7-10 days, but most seedlings take a while longer. but water daily and you should have good results.hope this helps.