T-Post Hinges and Latches

/ T-Post Hinges and Latches #1  

Only 3 Acres

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm pretty green to all this so here goes:

When using T-posts and no wood posts to install a field fence, what do y'all use for gate latches and hinges? I've looked at the wedge-loc product line and will probably use that stuff for bracing, but I was just wondering if there were any alternatives out there.

Thanks in advance for your replies:D

/ T-Post Hinges and Latches #2  
Welllll, I tried the wedge loc stuff...found it completely unsatisfactory.... probably installed 10 corners/braces... absolutely every one came undone after a year or two....

Wish I had better news.... I'd recommend some other method of corner bracing and gate bracing than the wedge-loc approach...sounds keen... until you live with it a while.:(

/ T-Post Hinges and Latches #3  
I think you need to put wood post in at your gate. A gate of any size is going to put too much leverage on a T post. Gate openings are also the first thing to get bumped by a tractor or trailer.

MarkV

/ T-Post Hinges and Latches #4  
T-posts will not do what you want. A t-post functions mainly to hold the wire vertically. It has little to no strength horizontally. T-post fences have "H" braced wooden posts or steel pipe every so often as "stretching" posts. You'll also have to use special posts for corners and all your gates. If you have a Tractor Supply (TSC) store in your area, stop in and get their free catalog. It's called a "Blue Book." In that book, they show the components of farm fencing.

/ T-Post Hinges and Latches #5  
Jinman is right, you can also go to the Tractor supply web page and get some idea

/ T-Post Hinges and Latches #6  
This is probably a dumb question, but I'm pretty green to all this so here goes:

When using T-posts and no wood posts to install a field fence, what do y'all use for gate latches and hinges? I've looked at the wedge-loc product line and will probably use that stuff for bracing, but I was just wondering if there were any alternatives out there.

Thanks in advance for your replies:D

I'd use 4" dia metal pipe with 1/4" wall thickness and fasten or weld the latches and hinges to the pipe. Then set the pipe in concrete.

/ T-Post Hinges and Latches
Thanks for all your suggestions. I do have the TSC Blue Book and the way it looks right now, I'll be using wood posts for my hinges and latches. Luckily most of my fence runs aren't that long. I'm bracing all corners and fence ends using wedge-loc material. Hopefully I'll have better luck with the stuff than others have reported.

/ T-Post Hinges and Latches #8  
T-posts corners are okay for temporary corners and to economize on the straight runs. For longevity and minimal maintenance though, you are better off to use single or double H brace wooden posts on the corners and gates. (Steel pipe in concrete is fine of course but wood is much easier for the average person to work with)

Wooden line posts strategically placed along with the T-posts will make for better fencing on your straight runs. In my economy driven area, most fencing is built with alternating wood and steel anywhere from every other posts to around three T's then one wood post on average.