Paint Booth Ideas?

/ Paint Booth Ideas? #1  

Temp97

Bronze Member
Looking to put a paint booth in my garage/pole barn. My idea is to have a curtain of sorts that I could slide back out of the way when not in use. I probably could use large sheets of plastic reaching from ceiling to floor so over spray would not get to the other parts of the garage. Also, what to use for a vent fan. Using a box fan would have to be dangerous with the flammable fumes and don't want to spend for a commercial grade. Any ideas or previous links I should look for??

Thanks

/ Paint Booth Ideas? #2  
go to "woodweb.com" scroll down rt side to finishing. click then do a search for booths. there are some pics that should give you some ideas. explosion proof fan
is the only kind for a booth.
mines a 220v 3ph. blades are 28" across. looks like an airplane motor. don't forget filters. the ones from box stores won't cut it.

/ Paint Booth Ideas?
Thanks for the info, good web site as I am a wood worker as well..

/ Paint Booth Ideas? #4  
I know a guy that uses a camping tent. It portable and can be moved outside when its nice. Not sure about how flame-able or ventilation.

Wally

/ Paint Booth Ideas? #5  
I've used one of those tarp structures.. similar to a tent.. nice because they are moveable..and you can hang tarp curtains on them if needed.

soundguy

/ Paint Booth Ideas? #6  
I just used one of the 10x20 portable garage kits that Pep Boys (and other stores) sells to repaint a car. I used a tarp for a floor on a non windy day with the front roll up door open. Used a HVLP spray gun (high volume, low pressure) to paint with very little overspray. I set my compressor pressure at 35-40 LB and ran about 75' of hose out to the booth so had about 30lb at the gun. Add a dual filter mask from NAPA (or other parts store) and you should be set to go. If you want it in the garage you can use your plastic from floor to ceiling idea but you should install a good exhaust explosion proof fan in the wall.

A friend of mine has the same idea as you. He installed a cable from front to back in one bay of his garage and hung plastic. He folded the top edge of plastic and installed brass grommets two feet apart and used shower curtain clips to hold it up.