Electric fence question

/ Electric fence question #1  

psuedofarmer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK55 Cab, 3 NHs (from 40-90HP)
I need to install a temporary electric fence to protect a 10,000 sq. ft plot from critters (deer, groundhogs, etc.). I've chosen the fence I need, but I have a problem that I need help with..

The farm is certified organic, so I can't use any form of herbicide to keep the weeds/grass from growing into the fence. I've looked into corn gluten (organic approved), but I don't think it's going to be successful in my application.

It occured to me that because this is temporary, perhaps I could use a 3' strip of woven landscape fabric as a base to hold down the weeds, then install the eletric fence on top of it (being careful to anchor the fabric to prevent it from engaging the fence).

Does this sound feasible?

Thanks in advance.
Psuedo

/ Electric fence question #2  
it sounds like you are using electrified netting. If you use the woven landscape stuff you would have to get down to bare ground first and then spread it out. Have you considered flaming the ground? Could you remove the fence periodically to mow or flame again?

/ Electric fence question
yes - that's it. Think the brand name is Versanet. I have the area down to bare ground. I can flame it to begin with, but I really don't want to flame it every time the grass starts growing.. I'm dealing with nearly 400'..but that may be my only choice.

Will speak with the fence supplier later this week - they're really helpful and have been using this fence for quite some time.

thanks for the input..

psuedo

/ Electric fence question #4  
I have a similar fence around my portable chickens. Its about 160' long and not too difficult to move. You would only have to do one side at a time with your mower. Post up what Premier says about it.

thanks for the input - it does look easy to move (simple stakes go into the ground pretty easy), so mowing it down is probably the way to go.

thx!
psuedo

/ Electric fence question #7  
Interesting dilemma. We have electric fence in strands and the lowest one is 6 to 8 inches above the ground. I have to walk it with a weed whacker or push mower every once in a while. The fence is probably about 2000 to 2500 feet long so it's a bit of a pain.

Old carpet in strips will keep the weeds down really well. It's heavier than landscape fabric but maybe ugly looking. What about black plastic like they use to grow melons and stuff? Cheap, long lasting, easy to handle.

/ Electric fence question #8  
I have put stone down under the electric fence to keep some of the weeds down but since yours is temp i would use cardboard, it will decompose and its strong enough to keeps most weeds from growing.

great replies - thanks for the advice.. not sure what route I'll take (keep in mind this is a temporary solution; this particular field will house greenhouses next season.. for now, I need a simple solution to keep the deer/woodchuck out while keeping the weeds under control).

i'll take some pictures of this solution this weekend.

pf

/ Electric fence question #10  
I need to install a temporary electric fence to protect a 10,000 sq. ft plot from critters (deer, groundhogs, etc.). I've chosen the fence I need, but I have a problem that I need help with..

The farm is certified organic, so I can't use any form of herbicide to keep the weeds/grass from growing into the fence. I've looked into corn gluten (organic approved), but I don't think it's going to be successful in my application.

It occured to me that because this is temporary, perhaps I could use a 3' strip of woven landscape fabric as a base to hold down the weeds, then install the eletric fence on top of it (being careful to anchor the fabric to prevent it from engaging the fence).

Does this sound feasible?

Thanks in advance.
Psuedo

We use roundup to keep the weeds out of the electric fence. Sounds like you will need to keep the grass lower than I do. I would look at one of the persistent week killers designed to keep grass from groing in the driveway. Spray it a couple of times over the summer and you should be good. When I was a kid, we used diesel to keep the weeds out of the fence but that is a no no now.

Unless you cover landscape fabric, it doesn't last very long. It will also work free and get sucked up into your mower, don't ask me how I know that.