Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Mitsubishi D 1800

Default Re: Cheap Tractor Shelter

A local hardware is selling something similar, and I looked at the way it is set up. Each of the legs was wired to an unknown length of rebar that was driven into the ground. If you decide to enclose it by using tarps, tie them at the bottom to concrete building blocks. They weigh enough to combat the wind, and don't strain your shelter's legs during a storm.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Jinma 284

From a tarp man, this looks very good. Another poster already answered my wind question. Do you know if they have a shorter version, ie about a two section verses 3 section of yours? If not, what is your opinion on the difficulty of converting a 20' to a 2 section? 20' would be overkill and look pretty ugly next to my 14' shed. Yep, its in view of the wife! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img] BTW, nice looking tractor.

Tractor
    Mahindra 4110

8NTX-
    I had thought of doing the same thing, although the HF instructions said nothing about doing it. 'Course, I considered the lack of designing the legs to attach to the feet a pretty serious design flaw too, so it didn't surprise me too much.

I think (and hope) that my 12" nails will hold everything secure to terra firma. The spot where I put it is pretty rocky, and a fair # of the nails actually hit (and have now become wedged) in the rocks, so I don't think they'll come out without a LOT of effort.

I'm actually contemplating putting another one up to keep my implements under, and if I put it in a section of the property with more soil and less rock, I think I'll follow your lead and add some rope to the design.

Slamfire-
    Good idea on the concrete blocks - I had been contemplating how to secure the bottom!

John S-
    I don't think HF has a shorter version, (you'd think they would sell a "Small" and a "Large" if they sold a "Medium", right?? But then again, HF doesn't always do things the way I would either...) They do make a double-wide version though, although I can't attest to it's relative strength in wind (and it cost more too.)

They skeleton/frame would be absolutely no issue to convert - you could just leave out the 3rd sections poles and put the end "bent pieces" on section #2 instead of section #3. Course, you'd have to convert your tarp to be about 6 2/3' shorter and put new eyelets/anchors in it, but I don't see why you couldn't do it. I've never cut up a tarp before (purposely at least [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]), but it seems reasonable to me that you could convert it.

- BTW, Thanks for the compliment! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Jinma 284

Thanks for the input. I usually place an order about once a year from HF. Can't complain that they don't send out regular catalogs! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img] I will have to get the CFOs take on this. The other option that is already under consideration, is adding aluminum awning to each side of my 10 X 14 shed. The awning will most likely be the better looking of the two, and the other side could shelter some implements. Downside is, I will have to remove the sunshade and go with just the folding ROPS, plus it would be more expensive.

Tractor
    NH TC45

Go to www.coverit.com to look at another option - more $$$$ to be sure but more cover as well. I bought one a coupla years ago and it still looks like new. I bought it on the recommendation from a friend who uses one as a cabin on his deer lease and after 8 years now he says it still looks new - I don't know what they put in the material but it seems it lasts forever. I was considering the HF tarp you got when he turned me onto this. I'm happier with my closed quansut type tarp building - but it did cost me almost $600.
    mike

Tractor
    Yanmar 1500D

Looks like a civilian version of the standard military maintenance tent. If it is of the same quality, it should last for many years.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    BX22, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1966 International Cub

mikim - I spent the extra money for a Cover-it also. 20 x 24. Put down some crushed concrete. It made a great temporary solution to a storage need. Very good quality. I ended up moving so it was only used about a year. It is available for sale if anyone is interested. I'm about 30 miles N.W. of Detroit. C
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    Mitsubishi D 1800

I saw one along side the road yesterday, some farmer took one of those round corrigated storage bins, cut it down the middle and put the halves end to end. Looked like a quonset hut without the ends.

Tractor
    Mahindra 4110

I've seen the coverit shelters, and they're nice for sure. Unfortunately, as you mention, they cost about 5 times the cost of the one I put up. There are some places 'round here that sell metal shelters in the $650-$1200 range (depending on if you want the sides enclosed), but again, cost starts to become the issue. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif[/img]

I'd really like to have a nice pole-barn/metal shelter myself, but unfortunately it takes more time and money than I have right now. I'm definitely not trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, I just thought there might be some folks out there who were interested in an inexpensive/quick build shelter for under a couple of bills.

Tractor
    B2710

I have 2 of the canopies like you have, from N.Tool, a 10x20 & an 18x30, the heavier duty ones. Originally got them for my daughter's wedding and they worked great. The word got out that I had them, so I have rented them out numerous times for other weddings and parties. Paid for themselves several times over. As far as securing them, I usually use 4 ft rebar, with zip ties. If they are exposed to the wind I usually do each corner and a couple of middle legs. I have put them up on asphalt and secured them with concrete deck posts, the kind with the metal post tie, put a bolt in the support tie holes and used cargo straps to the corners. Never have had them move, and they have been wind tested. That way you don't have ropes to trip on or take up more space around the canopy. But I am not sure, short of setting the posts on concrete, if the sides were enclosed, that spikes, rebar or concrete blocks would prevent the canopy from becoming a kite. But a great inexpensive solution to protect a large investment.

PR

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast