Cheap Tractor Shelter

/ Cheap Tractor Shelter #1  

RanchMan

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4110
Since I haven't been able to build a barn yet for my tractor (i.e. Lots of work! /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif), I found a short term solution that I thought I'd pass along to those of you who might be interested.

Basically it is a shelter kit that will keep a lot of the rain/sun off your friend. I've seen them for sale at other places, but Harbor Freight (a company that gets WAY too much of my $$$) has them on sale for $130.

There are what I'd consider to be a couple of design flaws, but they are easily overcome. For example, the feet anchors only slip over the vertical "leg" poles - a drill and cross bolt easily solve this - same thing with where the legs enter the roof sections. I also went to Lowe's and got some 12" nails to use as spikes to hold it to the ground instead of the 6" version it came with. Total extra "investment" was about $12, but I think it made it considerably more stout.

Here's a link to some pictures with my Mahindra under it (sure beats putting a tarp over it every evening!!!) Granted, it isn't as good as a true barn, but it is a heck of a lot better than nothing and seems to be a lot sturdier than one might initially expect.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pbase.com/traxer128/tractor_cover>Tractor Cover Pics</A>

If you're interested in getting one, go to www.HarborFreight.com and select the "Order from Printed Catalog" option on the left side of the screen - enter the number "40544 2 vga" and that will get you the sale price (if you just search for it, you'll have to pay the regular price of $200)

Enjoy!

/ Cheap Tractor Shelter #2  
Very nice!! I was thinking of building a shelter for my new (to me) Oliver. It's too big for my garage or barn. How hard was it to assemble your shelter? Do you happen to know the dimensions? For $130, how bad could it be?!!/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif
Thanks for posting this!!!

/ Cheap Tractor Shelter
RichZ-

It's about 12.5' x 20'. The sides are 6.75' high & the peak is 10' high. My tractor didn't have any problems getting under. If you have REAL big tractor, I suppose you could fold back the ROPS for putting it in/taking it out (assuming you don't have a canopy/sun shade) - of course if you don't want to do that (or can't) I bet you could rig up something to get another couple of feet of height out of it with some extra pipe/bolts (i.e. leg extensions) from your local hardware store.

Assembly went pretty quick. It actually took a LOT more time to drill the holes for the cross bolts I added than the entire assembly did. My wife helped me put it together - took about 10 minutes with her help (not including pounding the "spikes" into the ground.) It helps to have someone assist you, not because of weight or anything, just a little awkward at times (spreading the tarp out, tilting it up with the legs on, etc.).

Here's a link to the Harbor Freight specs on it (again, don't use this link to order, but the "order from printed catalog" option if you want to get it for $130 - otherwise it will cost you $200) It has a picture of a Suburban under it I believe.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40544>http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40544</A>

<font color=blue>For $130, how bad could it be?!!</font color=blue>

That was my thought as well. I figure although I'd hate to throw $130 "out the window", it seemed like a pretty good gamble. I have to admit, I was pretty happy with what I got. Sure, it isn't a Morton building, but I didn't have to take a loan out to build it either!!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Even if it only lasts a year (I suspect it will last longer than that), it only will wind up costing me about $0.37 a day to help protect my red 5 figure investment - after all, I'd hate to be "penny wise and pound foolish"!

Oh - BTW, a replacement UV treated tarp for it costs $20.

PS: I also drilled a small "drain hole" in each footing so that the legs aren't constantly subjected to H20 after a rain... again, simple "fixes" that should improve life/strength.

/ Cheap Tractor Shelter #4  
Costco has a simular product that includes 4 sides with Heavy zipper openings. 10X20 with a 8ft eve. Price was $169.95, here in western Washington.

/ Cheap Tractor Shelter #5  
Hey that's a fair size shelter you got there.

Good buy by the sound of it.

As long as you get that sun and rain off, I think half the battle is won.

Cheers

/ Cheap Tractor Shelter
We have Costco down here in Texas too, but I hadn't been to one in a long time. I've seen the enclosed temporary ones (like @ Northern Tools) as you describe, but they generally seem to cost somewhere in the $400-$500 range for the size you mention. If you could get the same thing for $170, it sounds like a steal to me!

I've toyed with the idea of enclosing mine on 3 of the sides - figure I could do it for about $30 more - just haven't decided to "pull the trigger" just yet. If I decide to do it, I'll post and let you know how much of a pain it was to do.

/ Cheap Tractor Shelter #7  
Sorry didn't intend for there tobe any pain involved.

Have had any problems with birds roosting on your tractor?

/ Cheap Tractor Shelter
No bird issues yet, but it's only been up a couple of weeks. I figure that I'll eventually get some critter making a home in my tractor @ some point (mice, birds, bugs, etc.), but don't really know any way around that. If I truly used it every day, that would help, but since it stays kindof static for a majority of the time, I think I'm out of luck.

Although an enclosed shelter would certainly help, I don't think you'll ever eliminate nature from taking over in some way. (seen way to many real barns have critters running/buzzing 'round in them).

One kindof nice thing is that I don't *think* any wasps/yellow jackets will actually make a home on the shelter itself /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif because even though the tarp is taut, it does flex in a breeze to a degree, so I don't think they'd like the movement. They could make a home on some of the steel poles I suppose, but I suspect they'd actually prefer my tractor instead - /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

/ Cheap Tractor Shelter #9  
I like the shelter. I figure as I get moving along down the road that the extra car space will be taken by something else and the tractor will need a new home. But the wife will need a barn at some point so, maybe a barn raising someday. But for now I have a 32'wx22'd garage with 1 16'w door and 1 9' wide door ( for the tractor).

/ Cheap Tractor Shelter #10  
I have the exact same cover that I bought about a year ago at Lowe's for our boat. I paid $169.95 for it. It has held up very well even in heavy winds. I bought 4 heavy duty auger-type anchors (dog tie outs?) to secure each corner, tied with a rope about 6 ft. out diagonally from the poles. The instructions recommended doing it at each pole, but mine has held so far.