New road on steep hills

/ New road on steep hills #1  

Johndeere3720

Padawan Tractor Learner, Advertiser
Tractor
Bobcat T62, MT55, E42R, E10, John Deere 4100
Well, yesterday I started to dig out the new road to get the tractor and skidsteer to the back end of the property. The area I was working in was hilly and in some spots, steep. There are no rocks what so ever but some spots were hard and some soft. I used the track skidsteer to do the job since it isnt 'tippy' on the hill. I would carve out certain areas and use the extra dirt to make another section. The last part was hardest since it was so steep it was imposible to drive on.

I cut that about 1-2' and the extra dirt went on the left side to complete the road. The problem is that since the extra dirt is on the left side on the whole road, should I leave it for a safety burrier or level it to make it wider and let the water run off. Also, since it is in a horse pasture, it will get lots of horse traffic and that means mud in the winter. What do I do to prevent mud? This road is about 6' wide so the skidsteer barely fits. On the steep part, 3/4 of the road is cut off the hill and 1/4 is fill. Will the fill stay stable, its not clay or rocky.

/ New road on steep hills #2  
All I can think of to reduce mud is to apply stone/gravel.

Depending on the property, I'd think a steep road needs a drainage ditch on the uphill side of the road, and then filled with rip-rap or paved with concrete to make sure it doesn't erode. Even the paved ditches along the highways have raised "bricks" which look like a large concrete block standing vertical embedded, in order to slow the water flow-speed down.

/ New road on steep hills #3  
I tend to take the other approach, get the water across the road and on down the hill as fast as possible, before it has a chance to build up any volume. If you ditch the uphill side soon you will have either a ditch full of standing water (mud) or a channel of fast flowing water (erosion). I always grade the roadway so the rainwater flows to the downhill side and try to get enough vegitation growing to stop erosion. Sticks and stones on the downhill side will also slow down the water so any silt can settle out.

/ New road on steep hills #4  
As pat32rf commented, getting the water across/off the trail as fast as possible is they way to go. On trails we use 'rolling grade dips' as a way to move the water off the trail. Advantage is that they need little to no maintenance unlike water bars etc.

/ New road on steep hills #5  
As pat32rf commented, getting the water across/off the trail as fast as possible is they way to go. On trails we use 'rolling grade dips' as a way to move the water off the trail. Advantage is that they need little to no maintenance unlike water bars etc.

I'm lucky... I seem to be able to make "Rolling Grade Dips" without even trying...

/ New road on steep hills
The problem with pushing the dirt off the side is that the road is only 6' wide. How do I push it off the side safely? I can use the 3720 Deere or the CT322 Deere track skidsteer.:confused:

/ New road on steep hills #7  
When I don't have rock to contend with I favor my FEL over my hoe. Just scooping a bit out of the high side, then backing up with the wheels cramped so the bucket then lets me dump over the edge, slowly building up the low side. Takes time but no one is paying me by the hour.....
In many spots I have to lay 30' logs between existing trees to hold the loose fill from continuing downhill...

/ New road on steep hills #8  
I agree that it's best to get the water across and off the trail as quickly as possible. Do not ditch the up hill side unless you have lots of room (e.g. ditch 5' wide and 2' deep). When you get a real "gully washer" rainstorm, things will wash out on you if you have an uphill gully. You will also need to install culverts to drain the water. Also, holding water on the uphill side will keep the trail soft and muddy.

I also think you need to make it wider. Don't depend on much of the "spoils" for your trail. Most of your trail should be on dug (solid) dirt with the spoils used as a shoulder. They will be soft and will sink. If you don't have enough room for your skid steer, you need to make it a couple of feet wider.

I've built trails by a scraper blade behind the tractor (very mild side slopes only), a small backhoe, by hand with a mattock, and now with a mini excavator. The mini wins hands down, especially since mine has an angle blade to push dirt sideways.

Ken

/ New road on steep hills
I got it leveled off so the edge is gone and im letting the dirt settle until I go out there this weekend with my camera. One thing, pictures!:)

/ New road on steep hills #10  
I have a very steep road / trail to access part of my land. This road was constantly washing out due to heavy rains. I try to direct the water to one side.....but alot of it is just destined to go across the road. I recently put down a layer of crushed granite and had that tamped down well with a viberatory packer. It almost looks like its paved. So far it has taken a few downpours and looks like new. I think (hope) everything is going to stay put for a long time.....but it's still a little early to know. I have also put down some crushed concrete in the past with pretty good results too.