Lawn Sprinklers

/ Lawn Sprinklers #1  

Charlesaf3

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030, Kubota M59 TLB
Well, its tractor related, as I'm using the tractor to put in the lawn, but if there's a better location for this question I apologize and apreciate it if the post can be moved.

I need to buy a bunch of new sprinklers - hose attached, not permanent (though that may happen down the road). Seems like the ones I buy at Ho9me Depot or Lowes last for a year, and then die. Its gotten really annoying. Might be because I'm on well water with some gunk.

I was thinking I'd rather pay more up front for nursery or farm quality sprinklers that would keep working. Since people on TBN are a wealth of info, figured someone on here might be able to help with a suggestion on brands/models/ website to buy from...

Thanks

/ Lawn Sprinklers #2  
This won't help you but maybe you might find a deal??? Just bought a bunch for $1.00 a piece at a bargain store. They had a big bin full of garden hose stuff mostly cheapo plastic sprinklers. Dug around and found 6 all metal ones, WHAT A DEAL!! work great.

/ Lawn Sprinklers
that's awesome, but no, wouldn't help. I'm willing to pay almost anything, I just want one that works when I need it to. Whereas no matter how much I spend - gilmour, nelson, they all seem to die after one season. It's really gotten to be a pain as the new plantings are in and need water at that moment...

/ Lawn Sprinklers #4  
It has been almost a decade since you could buy a quality portable lawn sprinkler. I finally bought some of the impact type sprinklers mounted on a tripod. As much as I like them, my hard water does a number on them.

/ Lawn Sprinklers
even the tripod ones I haven't had much luck with - like you say, the hard water plays havoc with them.

/ Lawn Sprinklers #6  
I have bought the most expensive ones that i saw in the local walmart. Nelson makes them they have a heavy diecast metal base, have had the same ones for few years now with no problem, but i am not on well water.

/ Lawn Sprinklers #8  
I agree with /Pine. Rainbird makes some of the best stuff out there. My brother is a Greenskeeper and Toro and RB are the dominant players by far.These heads are rebuildable and will last a lifetime, unlike the ones from Home Cheapot.

When you buy one, remember that these heads are aimed at a professional irrigation system that has some serious GPM. Size the nozzle to your well GPM.

THere are roller mounts for the spray heads but i cant find a link for them.

Edit found a link. Underhill Tracker and RollerPro Traveling Sprinklers They's be simple enough to fab up though.

This link will take you to a little better page on the RB site. Click on the links for each head to see their performance specs and GPM requirements http://www.rainbird.com/landscape/products/impacts/index.htm

Attachments

• 225-195-zzz.jpg
    225-195-zzz.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
   / Lawn Sprinklers #9  
even the tripod ones I haven't had much luck with - like you say, the hard water plays havoc with them.

Get some of the brass Rainbirds. And, put a filter on your line. Should be able to get a cleanable filter from a irrigation supply house for less than $50. Ya, sounds like a lot, but it sure cuts down on the hassles of gunk in you heads.

Around here is John Deere Landscape supply.

Hunter and Rainbird make good stuff. Rainbird impact heads for sure. Don't get the big box store stuff if you want it to last.

John Deere Landscapes

/ Lawn Sprinklers #10  
Thank you, I didn't want to be the one to always push Rain Bird, but now that its mentioned they are my first choice. I have been installing them for 9 years and am always satisfied with the permanent install heads.

I didn't think they made any traditional garden hose movable heads

Have you seen the rain trains, a bit of a PIA but kinda cool