Hay field conversion

/ Hay field conversion #1  

patepluma

Hi all. new member here...I'm looking for any suggestions on the best way to convert an 8 acre field. When I was a little kid(+/- 20 years ago..), they planted corn, soy beans, etc. here - but for the last 15 years or so, they've done nothing but cut hay - NO plowing. Anyway, we've decided to start maintaining it/cultivating it ourselves. Other than spraying poison, what's my best option to get rid of the grass so we can start planting again? We're thinking corn, pumpkins, strawberries - a little bit of this/a little bit of that...Anyway, I'm not in any hurry - I'd just like to get it ready for next year's planting season. I was thinking to just cut it really low and then disc it numerous times...Also, what disc/plow combo do I need AND what's the minimum HP tractor I need? Not only to convert it, but to maintain it for the next 20+ years. Thanks for any/all input...Sorry for such a long post...

/ Hay field conversion #2  
What are you going to grow there? 8 acres is pretty large and will likely require specific 'row crop' type equipment to prepare, plant, cultivate and harvest.

I believe the formula for turning sod to a dirt field is plow in the fall with a bottom/turning plow (freeze/thaw action of winter helps break up the clumps). Disk in the spring when it is dry enough you can get in there and work the dirt. Likely also need some type of harrow to level it out some. Next you need all the implements to plant and harvest whatever it is you want to grow.

/ Hay field conversion
Corn, pumpkins, watermelon - just experimenting a little...What's the difference between a disc and a haro/harrow? Thanks.

/ Hay field conversion #4  
Well you could go organic & have higher value harvest. Are you willing to jump thru hoops & achieve certification?

First step is have the soil tested. A neutral ph may take tons of lime per acre + fertilizer + a year or two to get started.

The idea of plowing is to expose the roots to air & overwinter time kill off the plants. Plowing in growing season simply allows more plants to grow.. = a mess.

Contract with a local farmer to spray, till & smooth In 2 weeks it will be done. Someone in the business will have experience and larger scale equipment ready to go. Then seed & fertilize a cover crop to keep the weeds out.

The reason I say defer to a local farmer is your crops & scale matches up with a small tractor (not necessarily small hp - take a look at a JD 5425N) easy to climb off & on, small implements and a second machine such as a ATV/gator for trailer towing.

/ Hay field conversion #5  
What type of irrigation will you be using? Are you planning on doing a truck garden or farmers market or something along those lines?

Remember that as soon as you start breaking the soil it is on its way to becoming a weedy mess so its best to have a plan ;)

I know there are some people on here who grow pumpkins etc on the scale you are talking about so doing a few searches might be helpful.

/ Hay field conversion #6  
Hi all. new member here...I'm looking for any suggestions on the best way to convert an 8 acre field. When I was a little kid(+/- 20 years ago..), they planted corn, soy beans, etc. here - but for the last 15 years or so, they've done nothing but cut hay - NO plowing. Anyway, we've decided to start maintaining it/cultivating it ourselves. Other than spraying poison, what's my best option to get rid of the grass so we can start planting again? We're thinking corn, pumpkins, strawberries - a little bit of this/a little bit of that...Anyway, I'm not in any hurry - I'd just like to get it ready for next year's planting season. I was thinking to just cut it really low and then disc it numerous times...Also, what disc/plow combo do I need AND what's the minimum HP tractor I need? Not only to convert it, but to maintain it for the next 20+ years. Thanks for any/all input...Sorry for such a long post...

I have 10 acres of flat pasture land with 6 acres available for hayfield.
My tractor is a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny, power steering). The photo shows the 5525 and the Hawkline 6-ft rotary mower (aka brush hog, shredder, slasher) that I use to mow the field prior to discing.

DSCF0057Small.jpg

I have several discs:

--An old 7-ft Towner offset disc that one of my neighbors gave me.

DSCF0063-smallSmallSmall.jpg

I replaced the pans on one axle and got it back in shape for cultivating work. Offset discs are generally classified as primary tillage implements.

--An old Ferguson 6-1/2 ft tandem disc that I got for $200

DSCF0003Small.jpg

Tandems are generally considered secondary tillage implements (used to break up the clods left by a primary tillage implement like a moldboard plow, middle buster, offset disc).

--An old 13-ft Minneapolis Moline tandem disc (actually made by Krause for MM) that I got for $600 last Dec.

DSCF0132Small.jpg

DSCF0133Small.jpg

I removed some of the outer pans to reduce the width so the 5525 could pull it.
The Towner and Ferguson discs are pull-type implements that are hard to transport from field to field, across roads and driveways, etc. The MM wheel disc is a lot easier to move around.

You could handle a 6-7 ft disc with a 30-40hp (engine) tractor, 2WD or 4WD if you prefer. I'd look at discs this size that attach to the 3pt hitch--easier to transport than pull type drag discs.

/ Hay field conversion #7  
I did 9 acres with a 5' rototiller at low speed. Yeah it took all weekend but it was beautiful. Ran a disc thru it, then a planter, and finally a cultipacker.

No problem... Pasture mix seed: 50% alfalfa, 25% Timothy, 25% something else.

/ Hay field conversion #8  
My thoughts are you can minimize the number of implements if you just buy a tiller.

That said, if you can shop good-used you can probably dust up a 2 bottom plow, a 5-6' disc and some sort of a harrow for less investment...although it will take more time and "turning over more stones".

You can 1-bottom plow with as little as about 10hp, but it will go faster with more hp. Your classic Ford 8N is in the 20-25hp range, those will plow for years on end with a 2 bottom plow.

/ Hay field conversion
Thanks for all the info...What's the difference between a disc and a harrow?