Standing Seam roof ridge cap

/ Standing Seam roof ridge cap #1  

skidoo

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2520, JD X749, JD110TLB
I am having my asphalt roof replaced with a standing seam metal roof. Everything is stripped off, prepped, and metal delivered. After a while, contractor asks me to come up on the roof. Turns out the metal fabricator cut the metal a couple inches too short. So, neither of us wanting to waste material, the contractor suggests that I allow the ridge cap to be made wider to cover the shorter metal. In looking at it, it doesn't seem that big a deal. Anyone know of a good reason a slightly wider than normal ridge cap should not be used?

/ Standing Seam roof ridge cap #2  
A wider ridge cap should be fine, my question is did the metal actually get cut too short, or did someone give the wrong measurments to the guy cutting the metal?

/ Standing Seam roof ridge cap
According to my contractor, it was ordered correctly, but the metal fabricator cut short.

/ Standing Seam roof ridge cap #4  
Wider ridge won't hurt anything.

It just needs to be supported at the very peak possibly.

/ Standing Seam roof ridge cap #5  
Standing seam roofing should be cut 2" longer then the roof mesurements, 1" to be bent up at the cap and 1" to be bent over the drip edge. The driver will double check this mesurement twice with the contractor before being bent.
Now a wider ridge cap wont hurt a thing, its a good solution to someones screw up.

Thanks for the replies. I had already told them to go ahead, but I thought I should get some more opinions before they got too far...

/ Standing Seam roof ridge cap #7  
I don't know if it's applicable but have you considered cutting a "ridge vent" and using a vented cap?

/ Standing Seam roof ridge cap #8  
I don't know if it's applicable but have you considered cutting a "ridge vent" and using a vented cap?

If you want a vented ridge, the metal is short of the peak, so there is space there. Just cut the moisture barier at the peak, and put vented closure strips under the cap instead of solid ones. Vented closure strip is alot more expensive though.

The plan was to convert from gable vents to a ridge vent anyway. So, the cap will be vented.

/ Standing Seam roof ridge cap #10  
The plan was to convert from gable vents to a ridge vent anyway

if this is the case it is possible the contractor who measured the roof was taking into account the ridge vent...generally a 1-1/2"-2" space on either side of the ridge is left open for the vent (to be covered by the cap)