Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 2520, JD X749, JD110TLB

Default Standing Seam roof ridge cap

I am having my asphalt roof replaced with a standing seam metal roof. Everything is stripped off, prepped, and metal delivered. After a while, contractor asks me to come up on the roof. Turns out the metal fabricator cut the metal a couple inches too short. So, neither of us wanting to waste material, the contractor suggests that I allow the ridge cap to be made wider to cover the shorter metal. In looking at it, it doesn't seem that big a deal. Anyone know of a good reason a slightly wider than normal ridge cap should not be used?

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE

Default Re: Standing Seam roof ridge cap

A wider ridge cap should be fine, my question is did the metal actually get cut too short, or did someone give the wrong measurments to the guy cutting the metal?
    “History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.” Douglas MacArthur
    "The obligation of every human being to God, is higher than his duty to country, and not even a majority in society has the legitimate right to interfere with a man's allegiance to him."James Madison

Tractor

According to my contractor, it was ordered correctly, but the metal fabricator cut short.

Wider ridge won't hurt anything.

It just needs to be supported at the very peak possibly.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." George Patton

Tractor
    Kubota L3400 Mustang Skid Steer

Standing seam roofing should be cut 2" longer then the roof mesurements, 1" to be bent up at the cap and 1" to be bent over the drip edge. The driver will double check this mesurement twice with the contractor before being bent.
    Now a wider ridge cap wont hurt a thing, its a good solution to someones screw up.

Tractor

Thanks for the replies. I had already told them to go ahead, but I thought I should get some more opinions before they got too far...

I don't know if it's applicable but have you considered cutting a "ridge vent" and using a vented cap?
    Slash Pine
    blunt and succinct but sincere...in the immortal words of Popeye..."I yam what I yam"

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE

Quote Originally Posted by /pine View Post
    I don't know if it's applicable but have you considered cutting a "ridge vent" and using a vented cap?
    If you want a vented ridge, the metal is short of the peak, so there is space there. Just cut the moisture barier at the peak, and put vented closure strips under the cap instead of solid ones. Vented closure strip is alot more expensive though.
    “History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.” Douglas MacArthur
    "The obligation of every human being to God, is higher than his duty to country, and not even a majority in society has the legitimate right to interfere with a man's allegiance to him."James Madison

Tractor

The plan was to convert from gable vents to a ridge vent anyway. So, the cap will be vented.

The plan was to convert from gable vents to a ridge vent anyway
    if this is the case it is possible the contractor who measured the roof was taking into account the ridge vent...generally a 1-1/2"-2" space on either side of the ridge is left open for the vent (to be covered by the cap)
    Slash Pine
    blunt and succinct but sincere...in the immortal words of Popeye..."I yam what I yam"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast