Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #111  
Hi Dave,

Talking with our heat guy further, the company always says 150F. He agrees, we'll start a lot lower.
Steve

I wondered about that, but am not knowledgeable enough to state an opinion. The people who installed our boiler for radiant heat told me to keep the water temperature at or below 130 degrees (as measured entering the PEX loop). I assumed this is to protect or increase the life of the PEX? Not really sure.

When you get that concrete warmed up, you will really like the feel inside your house. You will be surrounded by walls radiating heat towards you, it's a whole different feel than a conventional house.

We have plaster over concrete on our interior walls in our passive solar house. It's about the best finish I think for concrete. Fun to watch the plaster crew put it on, takes a long time to get all the excess moisture out. We ran one of those construction site propane heaters for about a week, especially overnight, to dry the place out.

The only downside I have found, the wall thicknesses force you to build jam extensions on doorways and windows. In someplaces where the plasterers worked hard at evening out the concrete, the wall thickness varies in the doorway rough openings making the trim work a bit more challenging.

Thanks for the invite. I offer you the same. That's a pretty area where you live.

Dave.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #112  
Egon -

Thanks for the link and info.

The lament of a Viking raider (as told to me by a Scotsman) : 'Oh no, so it's to be pillage and r*** again is it?'

I seem to remember reading in some Viking history that Greenland and N. Europe in general were experiencing a period of relative warmth at the time the Vikings colonized Greenland. Which would explain the name they gave it.

We haven't heard from SamWalton in awhile now. Wonder how his project is progressing?

Dave.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #113  
This site gives a very brief history. Note that these Vikings had been expelled from their homeland for behavior not sanctioned by their communities.

I wonder which Vikings came to Oklahoma. I also wonder what they might have done to get themselves expelled from the community containing expelled Vikings.

Here are related links to More Viking stuff including the Viking land claim carved in rock at Heavener, Oklahoma.

North American Rune Stones

http://www.heavener.k12.ok.us/community/runestone/rune.htm

Regarding boiler temps for in-slab hydronics. I have some rooms with heated floors, some with heated ceilings, and a shower with heated floor and walls. The max temp of my circulating hot water is about 115F due to limitations of our geothermal heat pump. The heated floors are always comfortable to bare feet.

With hotter water you would not have to circulate as much of it to enable the floor to shed the Btu requisite to equal the heat losses at the extant delta T. With 150F water you should get faster response times when the system is adding heat in response to a dip in outdoor temps. Of course your response times in cooling off the slab when outdoor temps rise will not be improved.

My geothermal heat pump (Waterfurnace brand) was selected for its ability to produce hot air in addition to hot water or instead of hot water whatever the current needs may be. Several of our zones have two thermostats, one for the hydronics and one for forced air. This is a good thing during times of rapid outdoor temp changes as, for example, you can set the air stat a couple degrees lower than the hydronic stat and if the outside temps fall more quickly than the hydronics can heat up the slab to compensate then the heat pump can also produce hot air to keep the room from getting too cool (more than the 2 degrees I selected as a trial figure.)

Similarly when the outside temps rise quickly the stored heat in the slab will overheat the space due to the significantly lengthy time constant of the hydronic system that makes it unable to accommodate rapid outdoor temp changes. By running the floor stat a few degrees below the desired room temp and making up the difference with forced air you can avoid most overheating situations as the forced air stat will shut off immediately if the set point is exceeded.

With only a hydronic stat and no forced air your rooms will be overheated or under heated whenever the outside temperature rises or falls faster than the floor can be heated or allowed to cool. The floor CAN NOT be heated or cooled very fast (inherent long time constant of in-slab hydronics) so most major temp changes result in over or under heating.

With constant outside temps or only slow temperature changes the hydronic system will be able to maintain the set point rather well and be darned comfortable doing it. Alas, around here we have significant temp swings and hydronic heat alone can't compensate adequately.

Pat

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #114  
I also wonder what they might have done to get themselves expelled from the community containing expelled Vikings

From several very boring thick books read many a year ago it may be they were expelled for Fighting and Murder. First to Iceland and then on to wherever.:confused::confused:

Who the peoples were who traveled North America is always of interest. There are also some building ruins but I can't remember where.

I keep looking for information on Nation Geographic on there DNA testing but can't seem to find much I can understand.:eek:

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #115  
With only a hydronic stat and no forced air your rooms will be overheated or under heated whenever the outside temperature rises or falls faster than the floor can be heated or allowed to cool. The floor CAN NOT be heated or cooled very fast (inherent long time constant of in-slab hydronics) so most major temp changes result in over or under heating.

Interesting experience you have had with hydronic heat, Pat. Managing
interior temps with a high thermal mass house can be a challenge.

Although my house is all concrete except for the roof, I chose not to use
hydronic heat. It will be interesting to see how SAM's house will perform
if the interior is not fully insulated from the concrete. There have been
big debates on the best way to insulate a high thermal mass house to deal
with the heat storage issues.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #116  
There have been

That's for sure. As a lay person, and knowing you only get one chance to get it reasonably correct, it's not comforting reading conflicting data and suppositions about how concrete and heat interact.

Or you find a really good sounding study case but the climate and/or latitude is nothing similar to your own site.

Before deciding to build our passive solar house, we were fortunate to be able to visit three others in our area and talk to the owners who were all really helpful and candid.

I basically was convinced by their experiences and felt if I did something very similar, there would be good results.

Dave.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #117  
Regarding boiler temps for in-slab hydronics. I have some rooms with heated floors, some with heated ceilings, and a shower with heated floor and walls. The max temp of my circulating hot water is about 115F due to limitations of our geothermal heat pump. The heated floors are always comfortable to bare feet.

...lots of good detail snipped

Pat

Pat, you are making a lot of sense. Thanks a lot for the details. We are going to have a wood stove in the living room. From what you're saying, we should run the floor heat a little cool and use the wood stove to make up the difference. Having the bedrooms a little cooler works well.

We're pretty interested in geothermal, but don't have the money for it right now.

Steve

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #118  
Interesting experience you have had with hydronic heat, Pat. Managing
interior temps with a high thermal mass house can be a challenge.

Although my house is all concrete except for the roof, I chose not to use
hydronic heat. It will be interesting to see how SAM's house will perform
if the interior is not fully insulated from the concrete. There have been

It gets more interesting as you get into the details. The central portion of the ground floor of the house is in-slab hydronics and or forced air heat and cool. This portion of the house is 2x6 stud stick built with lots of glass. The cathedral ceiling goes up to about 26 ft or so with a loft/mezzanine over half of the great room and entry.

The master suite is ICF with a solid 8 inches of concrete in the walls, concrete ceiling, and a slab on grade floor (insulated under the slab) and the hydronic heat is in the ceiling below the insulation decoupled from the ceiling slab. The R-value of the ceiling sheetrock is quite low and its thermal mass is not much either so the response times are fast (thermal time constant is comparatively low.) The floor is mostly carpeted. There is 2 1/2 inches of styrofoam on both sides of the concrete in the walls. With your feet protected by carpet from a cooler floor slab you don't notice the difference in ceiling vs floor heat much.

Set back stats are futile with in-slab heating so you just heat the space constantly and suffer the night time losses/operating costs when the space is not occupied. With my heated ceilings (as in the master bedroom) you can take advantage of setback which is especially handy if, like my wife and I, you may prefer sleeping in a cooler room but like it warmer during the day. We can vary the bedroom temp fairly easily due to lower thermal time constant. The great room in-slab heat has such a long time constant that you can not run lower night temps and higher day temps due to tremendous lag.

An advantage of in-slab heat in the great room with tall cathedral ceiling is that your radiant environment helps keep you comfortably warm as the radiant heat warms objects (you included) much more than the air. Not much heat is lost to convection currents carrying heat to the upper level. Some convection cells do form so some convective currents carry a little heat to the upper levels and when it is really cold out then globs of cold air may fall down on you from the upper reaches of the cathedral ceiling. A Casa Blanca type fan or two running very slowly totally disrupts the convection patterns and you lose the descending cold blobs. If you set the stats so you get some forced air heat too then the air gets homogenized and the convection currents are disrupted. The loft/mezzanine floor over 1/2 of the greatroom-kitchen-entry.wife's office is heated by a high SEER air to air heat pump which does not effect the ground floor much in winter as its heat stays upstairs and can be run on a set back plan. In summer its cool air does materially assist the A/C of the ground floor (geothermal based.)

The walkout basement is so easy to heat and cool it is not worth worrying about setback. The walls are 12 inches of concrete with 2 1/4 inches of rigid foam insulation on the outside. There is 2 1/2 inches of rigid foam under the slab which has 16 inches of septic gravel under it. The basement ceiling is the great room slab floor. The basement ceiling was formed with Panel Deck a horizontal analog to ICF construction so the basement ceiling is massively insulated from the slab overhead. Most of the basement walls are covered with a min of 3 inches of Eastern Red Cedar from the floor to 4 ft up and then with glued on carpet from the 4 ft level to 9 ft ceiling and the rest is sheetrock over cast concrete walls with firing in some spaces.

The basement never gets uncomfortably warm in summer and can be cooled as desired quickly and easily. I did not put hydronics in the basement as it is so easy to maintain a comfortable environment by conventional forced air. I have a decorative gas log parlor stove (LPG fired) with adjustable flame size in the basement and it can easily overheat the space.

Enough!!!! I'll respond to questions and comments but enough already...

For the whole story see the thread on the sister site Country by Net:

CountryByNet.com Forums :: South Central Oklahoma Farmhouse

There have been over 188,000 views of that thread (22 pages long.) I put a lot of info there on the home building in general and considerable stuff about hydronics.

The house is an eclectic mix of construction styles mostly seamlessly integrated into a unified whole. The ground floor is in three major types of construction;ICF, 2x6 stick built, and red iron. The basement is cast concrete and the upstairs is 2x6 stick. Two high SEER air to air heat pumps and a geothermal heat pump with 5 each 200 ft wells. The air to air units have propane backup with outdoor thermostats set to the breakeven point on operating cost of electricity vs propane.

Pat

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #119  
patrick_g - Nice doc and pics of your home building. You folks that live below the glaciation line don't know how lucky you are with regards to rocks.

Low-E products?
Anybody have an opinion to share? I put 1/2" slab sheild on top of my 2" stryofoam below my slab. I have no idea if it has made a difference but it was getting good reviews in 2006.

Dave.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #120  
patrick_g - Nice doc and pics of your home building. You folks that live below the glaciation line don't know how lucky you are with regards to rocks.

Low-E products?
Anybody have an opinion to share? I put 1/2" slab sheild on top of my 2" stryofoam below my slab. I have no idea if it has made a difference but it was getting good reviews in 2006.

Dave.

Thanks for the compliment Dave.

A friend's nephew cleared 40 acres and discovered lots of rocks. I took all I could get in 8 dump trailer loads since I have so few of my own that are easily accessible. Couldn't load some, too heavy. Got help from larger tractor but still left bigger ones behind.

Oh, I have lots of rock... but most of it is down 10 ft or more. Excavating for walk out basement we broke the 4 ft bucket off of a really big track hoe trying to get down through some rock and I used a Bobcat with a 500 lb hydraulic hammer chisel to help square the corners of the excavation.

Believe me, we got rocks just not all at the surface.

Pat