Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #21  
I've long dreamed of building, and owning an earth home. Congratulations! My property is in a 100 year flood plain, and even though the FEMA maps are very inaccurate, the county would never allow me to put an earth home here. My next choice to replace my 1973 mobil home is a geodesic dome. Whatever I do, they will make me pay through the nose with permits, and flood plain certificates. Having been here 33 years, I am the expert on my property - not them.
Remember the "100 yr flood plain" is based on past climate and geography. With the ever increasing clearing and parking lots the old 100 yr flood plain may now be the 5 yr flood plain with upstream changes.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build
How are you addressing Radon? Tight construction and underground construction with lots of concrete can make for unhealthy Radon levels unless addressed.

How much structural capacity did the engineer give your roof? Usually there is at least 18" of soil over the roof so the grass does not dry out - otherwise the roof needs to be watered.

What is the contractor using for waterproofing? Did the concrete spec include fly ash to make the concrete less porus - more dense and watertight?

Did the engineer design the concrete to meet ACI-318 code requirements?

Good Luck,

Yooper Dave

There is not much radon in Sallisaw Ok but we will have 3/4 chip stone and French drains inside and outside the footings and under the slab along with a heavy plastic vapor barrier. Our earth shelter home design is above grade with the earth bermed over from east to west. We have two fresh air intakes under the wood stove locations. The superimposed design load of the Terra-Dome is 327 lb. per square foot has included an auto live load of 50 lb. per square foot. Basically it can handle 80,000 lbs of load on the roof. The concrete has fly ash from the local power plants but doesn't pose any health risk. We will be using Econline-R and Econline-T as our waterproofing membrane, which is a tar modified polyurethane elastomer. It is applied to a thickness of 1/16 inch. A bentonite sheet material is also used in conjunction with rubber membrane on parapet walls and cold joints. I don't know about your ACI-318 spec but the web site tells you about many of the specs and they provide a design which provides massive overkill.

Today we were moving some earth for the south retaining wall but got rained out. Terra-Dome workers are just a few hours from completing the first module for our 6:00am pour on Monday.

Last edited:
   / Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #24  
Sam do they pour it in one shot from foundation to top of roof?

tom

Sam do they pour it in one shot from foundation to top of roof?

tom

Yes module is poured at one time (monolithic pour).

The storm passed and we all went back to work. It looks like they will finish all the preparation work before the pour tomorrow.

Last edited:
Those forms are very impressive!!! I didn't realize there would be so much height to the rooms.

What sized rebar are you using? Do you have to use a special mix of concrete? Do you have a permit? I'd be curious about the process of getting the permit and the inspection process, but then again, I woudn't want to be the one to do it, just like to hear about it if you have to have one.

Thanks for the updates,
Eddie

We use all 5/8" in the footings but the uprights are 1/2" The walls are all 10" thick concrete and 8' tall with #4 rebar at 12' X 12" centers each way. The domes are 1/2" and a bit smaller but have 2100 lbs of rebar on the roof alone.
The rooting use 3500PSI and the domes use 4000PSI concrete. We require no permit other than DEQ for septic.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #27  
Sam, I know you are busy today with your pour, so when you get time, I'm curious about the curved rebar on your roof. In the photo below, is the rebar finished, or did they add the curved component all the way to the top of the roof? That just really caught my eye as being unusual.

Attachments

• SamsRoof.jpg
    SamsRoof.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 1,770
Sam, I know you are busy today with your pour, so when you get time, I'm curious about the curved rebar on your roof. In the photo below, is the rebar finished, or did they add the curved component all the way to the top of the roof? That just really caught my eye as being unusual.

The different layers of rebar are to add strengh and what you see is complete except for the electrical conduit and boxes on the roof area which will be completed today.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #29  
Sam, what if any of the forms stay with the house? does the roof form come out, or the wall forms, or are the wall forms insulation and just stay?

Sam, what if any of the forms stay with the house? does the roof form come out, or the wall forms, or are the wall forms insulation and just stay?

All of the forms are sprayed with a special oil to allow for easy disassembly and are used over and over. We have three more domes and one flat roof section. This crew is working very have to provide a quality product. It is really a whole lot of very hard work to build these types of structures. It is very much like building a bridge.

Tomorrow we will finish the footings and also install the 2 1/2" service entrance conduits, which goes to our transfer switch first then off too our 200 amp breaker panel. We will also install other size schedule 40 plastic conduit for the fresh air intake for the wood boiler and a few extra for thins we may think of later.

Last edited: