Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build
Ahh, Stego wrap and the high dollar red tape sure bring back memories. That is some good stuff, especially the thicker wrap.

For what it is worth (probably not much) I favor putting chases in the basement walls prior to the pour. It was a few years before I got around to using one of the ones I put in for adding a patio BBQ gas outlet but it sure make gas easy to run.

Another lead to a little "fun" as I used an engine driven pump with 2 inch water hose to turn my back fill sand into a slurry as an alternative to using small lifts and a vibratory plate compactor. I overflowed one of the open chases and put a wheelbarrow load of sand into the basement. I also recommend more chases than you think you need as it is easier to plug an unused one than to drill another and worry about hitting rebar after the concrete has curred.

Patrick

Great Minds think alike.
We added many conduits through our footings and conduit runs to the utility room. We will soon be set in stone and I feel we have exceeded the recommended conduits per square inch specifications but were glad to do so.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #452  
Great Minds think alike.
We added many conduits through our footings and conduit runs to the utility room. We will soon be set in stone and I feel we have exceeded the recommended conduits per square inch specifications but were glad to do so.

In general more is better to a point. Not to worry about the minimalists and their tongue clicking.

Stegowrap made me feel good about radon exclusion. and moisture getting into the basement floor. The top of my basement floor slab is at least 5 ft below the level of the ground water and the floor has stayed very dry even in the worst wet year on record hereabouts. I left some sections covered with taped down stego and after a week the concrete wasn't wet, it wasn't even visibly discolored. NOW THAT IS DRY!

I used zip ties to secure the PEX to the rebar but just about anything would work as it only has to hold the PEX down from floating up till the mud hardens. Rebar wire ties applied with a pigtail would be fine or bread wrapper twisties (No need to get it very tight.)

Anyone doing this needs to take good pix and close measurements of the PEX location and any potential conflicts with any of the other trades. I thought I did but lacked in precision. A carpenter drilled a Tapcon (concrete screw) into a PEX run and we had to use a demo hammer to chip out the area, repair with brass fittings, and pour a patch over the booboo. The heat and air guys (PEX installers) hit one of the plumber's PEX runs on my recirc line from the master bath. Luckily there was a way to make another run.behind cabinetry.

If anyone is planing on using PEX with aluminum heat sinks to spread the heat better like behind sheetrock, not necessarily in a slab, then lube the PEX where the aluminum contacts it. I didn't in a radiant ceiling application and you can hear the pex expand and contract as it slips through the thin aluminum. A minor anoyance, easy to ignore for most folks but... just a little lubricant and it would have been silent.

Sam, I know it is hard but try to avoid the rush to get moved in at all costs as all costs will always exceed what you might envision. Sometimes it is best to make haste slowly. Like this afternoon for example when I had the tractor on 3 wheels on the pond dam and got close to rolling her into the pond. Close enough to be taking a few deep breaths in prep for being underwater but narrowly missed going over by slamming the steering wheel to turn the tractor in the direction of the roll and got it on 4 wheels parallel to and about 2 inches from water.

Patrick

This weekend we worked on applying the ECOLINE-T with dual patches to the outside of the structure where I had power washed a few days prior. We cut out the pressure treated lumber in all the door openings level with the slab to be poured. We also drilled and installing rebar at the garage doors where we will pour a slab footing combination. I ordered much of the PEX for the floor heating and plan to take some time off from work to install.:laughing:

Last edited:
Nice work on your floor prep! I have 8 unopened 5 gallon buckets of Ecoline R
and 1 of the T I need to move out. You can have for shipping cost. Let me know. I agree the mesh helps a lot. I vacuumed the valleys several times... standing water seems to dissolve the stuff if applied too thick.

Bob

Bob I tried to get an estimate for the freight between 16801 and 74955.
I ran a quote at R+L Carriers LTL Rate Quote
I was unsure about the Class but I ran it at 50 and I looked like a good rate. If we could confirm I would be OK with these shipping fees. Will all nine buckets fit on a single pallet? and is the 50 the correct class? Let me know, we should avoid allowing the material to freeze. Thanks for your help. This first rate quote is for pickup at your home without a lift gate. $323.58
16801 74955
Origin Service Center
Phone 1-888-714-1231 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************1-888-714-1231******end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Service Center Address LEBANON, PA (LEB)
200 Narrows Dr.
LEBANON, PA 17046

Destination Service Center
Phone 1-800-489-2116
Service Center Address MUSKOGEE, OK (MUS)
2311 W. 29th St. South
Muskogee, OK 74401-8248

Details
Item Weight Rate Charge
Class: 50 400 $140.52 $562.08
Gross Charge 400 $562.08
R+L Discount Saves This Much 65% -$365.35
Discounted Freight Charge $196.73
Fuel Surcharge 21.40% $42.10
Residential Pickup $84.75

Standard Service Net Charges $323.58

2nd Rate Quote requires you to take product to LEBANON, PA and is $84.75 less.
16801 74955
Origin Service Center
Phone 1-888-714-1231
Service Center Address LEBANON, PA (LEB)
200 Narrows Dr.
LEBANON, PA 17046

Destination Service Center
Phone 1-800-489-2116
Service Center Address MUSKOGEE, OK (MUS)
2311 W. 29th St. South
Muskogee, OK 74401-8248

Details
Item Weight Rate Charge
Class: 50 400 $140.52 $562.08
Gross Charge 400 $562.08
R+L Discount Saves This Much 65% -$365.35
Discounted Freight Charge $196.73
Fuel Surcharge 21.40% $42.10

Standard Service Net Charges $238.83

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #456  
Sam,

The quote for home p/u will work. I will palatalize and band. all 9 should fit on one. Are you going to make the arrangements or should I?

Bob

Sam,

The quote for home p/u will work. I will palatalize and band. all 9 should fit on one. Are you going to make the arrangements or should I?

Bob
I will process after I get your info. Thanks Sam

Last edited:
   / Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #458  
Sam,

Do you have a quote number to reference?

We got two PEX loops down and a good picture of our local Bob Cat. I also got the R+L Carriers set up I had the class wrong but a quick phone call got that corrected and an additional discount to $271.85 for shipping the nine ECOLINE-R and ECOLINE-T which Bob donated. Thanks Bob

Last edited:
   / Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #460  
I also got the R+L Carriers set up. . . .

Sam, I hope you have the good luck with R+L that I did. My generators were delivered from CA with no damage whatsoever. I was really pleased.

Attachments

• GenDelivery-409.jpg
    GenDelivery-409.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 146
  • GenDelivery-410.jpg
    GenDelivery-410.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 154
  • GenDelivery-411.jpg
    GenDelivery-411.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 168