Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build
We continued our cleaning and finished the window installations. I got the floor box ground to fit the extension and will soon install the beautiful brass cover plates. We covered our doors so we could still enter but enough to cut down on the wind and cold. We will begin making our material list to accomplish the very basics to occupy our home.

Last edited:
   / Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #532  
Sam - Super congratulations on your concrete floors and getting closed in for the winter. Looks good and I'm sure it feels even better :)

The roll down window things are good. Lived with those in Germany for 9+ years and really got to liking them. Not so much about security but storm sheltering, able to have the windows open for air circulation with the covers down, etc. Great for privacy too. Google 'rolladen shutters' and you will get some good hits.

They build theirs into the window and door opening header spaces such that they are flush inside and out. Doesn't really work here with our construction methods but the shutters still work the same way. They do create a bit of dead air space outside the window pane when completely closed that takes away some of 'heat sucking' feeling you have next to a window at night.
Dave.

We install a new Magnolia Wood Stove by the United States Stove Company in our great room to keep us toasty while we continue work during the winter season. This is a nice stove but it was costly even with the Tractor Supply discount of $150. We are going door hunting tomorrow. We resealed the cold joints and much of the roof. Thanks again Bob, Carpolisher. We would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Last edited:
We should all give remembrance to the quarter million plus deaths and millions displaced in 2010 as a result of the worldwide natural disasters and the many people who were affected by finical disaster. In these difficult times it is our compassion and willingness to help others which will bring the light into all our spirits. My family and I would like to wish a Merry Christmas to all the TBN comrades and their families, friends and loved ones.

We purchased three of our doors and I began the install on the kitchen door. I was difficult because no one sells doors to fit the depth and the concrete walls are not straight like lumber would be. The stove is a nice distraction.

Last edited:
   / Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #536  
Somebody's been shootin' at Fort Walton!! (& they're either don't know that concrete is stronger than windows & doors, or they have bad aim)

192884d1293580623-terra-dome-earth-shelter-build-2010-12-28_0010.jpg

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #537  
Somebody's been shootin' at Fort Walton!! (& they're either don't know that concrete is stronger than windows & doors, or they have bad aim)

192884d1293580623-terra-dome-earth-shelter-build-2010-12-28_0010.jpg

I was wondering when someone would make such a comment. Reminds me of pictures of bullet ridden buildings in the Mideast; but I'm sure Sam has something up his sleeve to make his place look sharp.

This is my strategy for lower taxes. Our last tax bill was under $30. The house hasn't been included yet. Actually we are just attempting to become water tight and the looks haven't entered into the equation yet. I can see the humor. LOL

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #539  
Sam, now that you have the openings to the outside closed and are heating inside, are you seeing any condensation on the inside of windows and walls? Will you soon have to have some venting to reduce inside humidity? Just curious. . . :)

Sam, now that you have the openings to the outside closed and are heating inside, are you seeing any condensation on the inside of windows and walls? Will you soon have to have some venting to reduce inside humidity? Just curious. . . :)

We have seen some dew on the bottom of the upper pain of glass but nothing on the walls, ceiling or floors unless we open many windows and doors when the humidity is very high like 90%. The dry heat of the wood stove seems to evaporate all moisture except the dew on a small section of the windows.

We got most of the second door installed. I made some custom trim to seal the frames of the first two doors until we finish the exterior. You can't buy doors to fit the ten inch depth. We purchased 3 ricks of wood for $100. They were tiring to get us to take four but our Jeep didn't need to go beyond two ricks. We got a picture of a wolf or coyote. If anyone can identify please do? Because of the pitch at the doorways, the thresholds are floating toward the outside so we will use some grout under the thresholds of each door after we finish the last door.

It is great to have heat and shelter! I am trying to get our insurance to cover our home but they claim we must move in first. People have insurance while they renovate while they live elsewhere. I must get it covered even if I must live there before all is complete. Does anyone have insight on this matter?

Happy New Year to you all!

Last edited: