Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #2  
WOW !!!! I'm really looking forward to this. I've always been facinated by Earthen Shelters and homes built under ground.

What are the demensions? How many Sq Ft?

Eddie

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build
WOW !!!! I'm really looking forward to this. I've always been facinated by Earthen Shelters and homes built under ground.

What are the demensions? How many Sq Ft?

Eddie

It is 3872 Sq Ft including the garage and 87' x 58', check out the floor plan.

Last edited:
   / Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #4  
Congratulaitons on getting your home started.

I like the idea of no roof to blow away or be changed every 25 years. I'm sure heating and cooling costs are somewhat reduced, which will be very important in the coming years. My concerns are cost per square foot, plumbing, and no attic. Is plumbing conventional in the slab type, or does some of it run through the ceiling? If you miss your attic storage, you could always build a Terra Dome pole barn. :D

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #5  
super cool:cool: please keep the pics and updates coming.. this is one of my favs building methods:cool:

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #6  
Where i want to build our garage a terra dome would work great since it would be in a hillside. How are the domes formed? do you use one of those inflatable forms?

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build
Where i want to build our garage a terra dome would work great since it would be in a hillside. How are the domes formed? do you use one of those inflatable forms?

A reinforced fiberglass dome is hydraulically lifted from its trailer while parked in the center of a module, then secured to the surrounding aluminum forms. The rebar, conduit and pressure treated block outs are added and a concrete pumper truck monolithically pours from the footings to the top of dome while worker vibrated to remove all voids. I our case we will have 4, 28' x 28' modules and one 14' x 28 flat roof section to complete our home.

Last edited:
   / Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #8  
That is a cool design. I am looking forward to following your progress and seeing the end result.

How long will it take from start to finish?

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #9  
I've long dreamed of building, and owning an earth home. Congratulations! My property is in a 100 year flood plain, and even though the FEMA maps are very inaccurate, the county would never allow me to put an earth home here. My next choice to replace my 1973 mobil home is a geodesic dome. Whatever I do, they will make me pay through the nose with permits, and flood plain certificates. Having been here 33 years, I am the expert on my property - not them.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #10  
That is amazing. Did you have to buy the forms or do you rent them from terra-dome?
Congrats on a such a unique and amazing design.