Building a bridge

/ Building a bridge #1  

buggyman1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2150Hst
I'm in the process of building a wooden bridge to cross a small creek. The main goal was to make it strong enough to cross with my Kubota B-2150 with the backhoe attached. This is prob. overkill, but... it has 125, 60# bags of concrete in the main footers, plus two other beam supports. I used 2x6's for the slats, and four 6x6's for the main beams. It's 20 feet long, and 6 feet wide.

Attachments

• kubota-001.JPG
    kubota-001.JPG
    549.8 KB · Views: 840
  • b-001.JPG
    b-001.JPG
    872.7 KB · Views: 1,673
  • b-002.JPG
    b-002.JPG
    862.5 KB · Views: 1,323
  • b-003.JPG
    b-003.JPG
    976.5 KB · Views: 851
   / Building a bridge #2  
So, have you made the maiden voyage yet with your tractor? The bridge looks well built to me.
You have basically a >10' span between supports? Is it 4 6x6x10' beams sitting on the center support?

/ Building a bridge
I got the tractor stuck digging the footers, as I had to back right in the creek to get close enough to dig. I built a concrete block wall (solid block) to build one side up even with the other. I bolted two 6x6 beams together on each side of the tracking with 1/4 inch thick steel brackets i made. The other footer is even with the ground, and is bolted right to the 6x6's.

Attachments

• b-009.JPG
    b-009.JPG
    816.9 KB · Views: 1,298
  • b-008.jpg
    b-008.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 863
  • b-007.jpg
    b-007.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 1,140
   / Building a bridge
So, have you made the maiden voyage yet with your tractor? The bridge looks well built to me.
You have basically a >10' span between supports? Is it 4 6x6x10' beams sitting on the center support?

No its 4 6x6's 20 feet long...2 bolted together.,on each side..the longest span between supports is about 7 feet

/ Building a bridge
It has 2 more supports under it (4 in all) the other 2 are 6x6 posts with cross beams.

/ Building a bridge
Heres some pics of the sides and one end finished. I really like how the end with the pavers turned-out (my girlfriend's idea). I'm planning on doing the other end as well. I did drive the tractor on it, but couldn't go all the way across because of the unfinished end, and I was a little nervous (scared to death, outriggers down ready to jump eagle eyes on any wood moving the first popping sound...bail scared)....no drama thank God.

Attachments

• b-004.jpg
    b-004.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 836
  • b-005.JPG
    b-005.JPG
    797.8 KB · Views: 1,476
  • b-006.jpg
    b-006.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 590
   / Building a bridge
The pavers are 4 inches thick. I tamped the ground, then put 6 inches of gravel, tamped again, then a layer of sand (about 2 inches) a thin layer of mortar, then the pavers, dry laid. I then poured dry mortar over the top of the pavers and worked it in, and sweap off the excess with a broom. I then sprayed water on it after i let it set overnight. I plan on repeating it (the mortar) at least once more.

/ Building a bridge #8  
Your bridge looks good.

I built one over my little creek that is smaller by just laying some PVC pipe and filling in over them. I put in a 4x4 held in place by a couple of heavy metal stakes to help keep it from being eroded when the water overflows it in storms. It has worked well, but I occasionally have to buy some more rocks to fill in some spots. It's a much smaller creek than yours is.

Where we walk across it another place, I just built a wooden bridge and tied it at each end to trees on each side. Otherwise, it would wash downstream in a flood. This is what our Ivy Creek Natural Area has for a bridge in one spot. It isn't strong enough to support a tractor.

/ Building a bridge #9  
Nice bridge and very well built!

/ Building a bridge #10  
What part of the country are you in? Any frost/ice/spring floods? Would love to build something like that but too timid.....