Persistent pothole - need more than tractor tools?

/ Persistent pothole - need more than tractor tools? #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
Not sure where to post, but since I've been using my backblade, boxblake and rake + tractor to solve this, I'll start here. I have a very steep gravel drive with a 90 degree turn 1/3 of the way up. Just before the turn and on the inside (a right hand turn) I have a persistent pothole. Drivers slow, stay to the inside, then gun the engine and spin their tires. I've gotten good at using the boxblade to fill the hole, but it is back after only a few visits from delivery trucks and/or guests.

Is there some type of "binder" I might apply in that section of the drive? I've had a bunch of "fines" dumped there and that worked until I had a ditch overflow and wash them down the hill.

Other suggestions? Or is this a situation where I just need to enjoy the seat time?

Thanks,

/ Persistent pothole - need more than tractor tools? #2  
I'd fill with 3" or bigger rock - preferably with finings so it'll pack tight. (some quarry's call his "base rock")

/ Persistent pothole - need more than tractor tools? #3  
in a similar spot on a guys place I went to work at used some old chain link fence to cover the corner and then filled gravel over the top., granted this means fixing that part is no longer a rock rake/back blade fix. it does keep the gravel put though...

just a thought other than using some concrete fix/patch as a binder (look for soil crete) on the site here to find more ref for this.
Mark

/ Persistent pothole - need more than tractor tools? #4  
Like erik says, need to dig it out a little past the repeat offending hole area, place bigger rock like 3 inch and up with some fines, pack it in good. Then put a sign at the bottom of the drive that says keep'er pinned, dont let the corner scare ya. :eek: OH, and Welcome to TBN ihfarm:D

/ Persistent pothole - need more than tractor tools? #5  
In my area, you can get asphalt grindings ( the blacktop that is ground off roads in preparation of repaving. These will pack down very good after a short time and they are usually cheap.

/ Persistent pothole - need more than tractor tools? #6  
I have read about a product to eliminate potholes. It looks like felt , and is put down over the lime rock, and the asphalt is laid over it. The article said it is working out very well. Water is the culprit, but that is hard to control. So I think I would try this fabric under the gravel. It should keep stuff from moving around.

/ Persistent pothole - need more than tractor tools? #7  
Other than asphalt or cement I fear you will have recurring problem. Even the asphalt may ripple in time from the tire action. :D

In many city streets there are concrete pads where transit busses stop and start frequently as asphalt will ripple and break up.:D

/ Persistent pothole - need more than tractor tools? #8  
In my area, you can get asphalt grindings ( the blacktop that is ground off roads in preparation of repaving. These will pack down very good after a short time and they are usually cheap.

Same here the Grindings work well & wont absorb water like everything else . With the summer heat They also tend to Melt back together after time as well . Bob

/ Persistent pothole - need more than tractor tools? #9  
The key to pothole repair is prep and excavation. Filling in a hole is only in a temporary solution. Dig out a hole larger than the pothole by about 1 foot all around. and go at least a little deeper than (3-6 inches) than the existing bottom of the hole). The most important part is to square up the sides - they should be vertical. Any slope and the fill material will most likely waller out. After that, place crushed stone/etc. and roll it in with your tractor tires.

This has worked for me in several situations. Good luck and take care.

/ Persistent pothole - need more than tractor tools?
Other than asphalt or cement I fear you will have recurring problem. Even the asphalt may ripple in time from the tire action. :D

In many city streets there are concrete pads where transit busses stop and start frequently as asphalt will ripple and break up.:D

It sounds like I'm going to need to "treat" the curve rather than just the pothole or just enjoy the seat time. I tried searching for a source of asphalt grindings but don't see a local (central Indiana) source. I had thought about pouring a concrete section, but have been concerned if I can maintain a smooth transition to the gravel on either side.

I am (hopefully) about a year out from retirement. Maybe I'll just keep using the backblade until then. Sounds like a bigger project than I want to take on right now.

Thanks for all the advice,