Biggest one I'VE done

/ Biggest one I'VE done #1  

KPark

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2615
I've removed plenty of stumps, but most are about 4 or 5 inches across. This was 23 and took a couple hours. Had to wash it off just to be able to pick it up off the ground. I'm very happy with what the machine can do. Seems like you should be able to get "bucket" for a hoe that is only a single serrated tooth so that you can cut the roots closer to the stump (with depth) and make much shorter work of these things. Anyway, one down, who knows how many more to go. . .

Hope the pics show up.. know how you guys love 'em.

Attachments

• stump01.jpg
    stump01.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 621
  • stump02.jpg
    stump02.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 531
  • stump03.jpg
    stump03.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 345
  • stump04.jpg
    stump04.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 400
   / Biggest one I'VE done #2  
Yep, big stumps take some digging. You know you have a big one when you have to dig a ramp into the hole to skid the stump out. Be careful carrying a stump in your loader bucket as high as you show in the last photo. Hit the wrong dip with your center of gravity that high and you will take a ride you don't want to.

MarkV

/ Biggest one I'VE done #4  
That is some stump. Imagine doing that without a tractor.

/ Biggest one I'VE done #5  
That is some stump. Imagine doing that without a tractor.

I love looking at old photos of the way things "used" to be done before the wonderful invention of machinery. Im not sure we will ever be able to fully appreciate how good we have it without first having to hand dig something like that monster out. Someone call my wife and tell her im gonna be late and going to need an iron lung delivered to the house.

/ Biggest one I'VE done #6  
I love looking at old photos of the way things "used" to be done before the wonderful invention of machinery. Im not sure we will ever be able to fully appreciate how good we have it without first having to hand dig something like that monster out.

They also had the ability to walk into the farm service, hardware store or wherever else it was available and buy dynamite, which back then they dug a hole enough to bury a charge underneath and then popped it out.

/ Biggest one I'VE done #7  
Well done and nice tractor/backhoe.

/ Biggest one I'VE done #8  
They also had the ability to walk into the farm service, hardware store or wherever else it was available and buy dynamite, which back then they dug a hole enough to bury a charge underneath and then popped it out.

Yeah, now I've got to buy charcoal, sulfur and saltpeter to get a bang.
Using Nitric Acid, Sulfuric Acid, and Glycerin makes the wife nervous :)

/ Biggest one I'VE done #9  
that's a big one, nice work. i dug out 22 alder stumps today biggest one was about 16" across and took about 40 minutes.. some smaller ones came out in 10 minutes. now i have a nice big pile of stumps i'm using as a backstop on my 100yard shooting lane. i'll let them bake in the sun over the summer and as soon as the burnban lifts, they're getting torched. what else could i do with them? i'm told landscpapers like cedar stumps to use as yard deco but not sure about these alders.. i don't want to pay a grinder to come get them.

i used to try to dig them out without repositioning but now i dig on either side ripping the roots by coming under and across them, then reposition and go after the remaing two sides, i end up with a big moat around the stump and can always tell when i got the last holding root as the stumps breaks loose. then i flip it over on the hole and pull the dirt off of the bottom with the bucket teeth.

/ Biggest one I'VE done #10  
This one was my largest to date

Attachments

• 082.JPG
    082.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 170
  • 084.JPG
    084.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 085.JPG
    085.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 214