Tractor
    Kubota L3400

Default Broccoli Plants getting eaten

I suspect a woodchuck. I have seen one around. I have a fence, but he maybe getting through. How do I get rid of him, no guns there are other houses around.

Tractor
    John Deere 4300

Default Re: Broccoli Plants getting eaten

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I suspect a woodchuck. I have seen one around. I have a fence, but he maybe getting through. How do I get rid of him, no guns there are other houses around.
    You could make some cages out of the small hole chicken wire.
    John 3:16

01 JohnDeere4300 "Sync-Reverser", Vertical Exhaust, 2 JD Lawn Tractors, JD Walk Behind.

430-FEL/ 47-Backhoe/ 5' Bush-Hog/ Single Bottom Plow/ 6' Disc/ Aerator Spreader/ HF Quick-Hitch!

(Homemade Stuff) BH Thumb/ Log-Hitch/ 10' Boom-Pole/ 42'' Pallet Forks ''FEL Quick Attach & 3PH Quick-Hitch-Attach''/ Ballast Box 1381 lbs./ Aluminum Canopy/ Brush-Guard Mod/ 5x10 Firewood Trailer/ Lawn Striper.

Veteran Member

I can't help you with your problem but I can't pass up a chance to show how my plants turned out this spring! brag,brag,brag!! And they were delicious!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -000_0675-jpg  

Tractor
    '01 BX2200

You might try sprinkling the plants with cayenne pepper. That trick works well for keeping squirrels out of the bird seed so it might work for keeping a critter off of your broccoli. I wouldn't put it on anything but the leaves, though. The family might not enjoy spicey broccoli!
    BX2200 w/ turf tires, LA211 loader, 4' box blade, and 60" MMM

Shh! Don't tell her she's a little tractor.....she doesn't know

Tractor
    BX24

perhaps a mix of garlic, cayanne or other hot pepper. if deer, add eggs and let it ferment a few days. strain, and spray.

i favor the .22 method if it's a varmint, though. once they find a food source, they are hard to deter. you might also try a live trap and then haul whatever you catch about 10 miles away.

amp
    Kubota BX24 (loader, hoe, 60" belly); Ford 800 tractor; Scott's/Deere 42" mower; 5' and 6' rear blade; 54" Howse tiller; 20' 7,000 lb carhauler trailer; 2 other trailers; 5' dethatcher; 10" single bottom moldboard plow; middle buster plow; 600 lb roller; 3pt auger; front tire chains; Stihl and Honda small engine equip.

Growing with you season by season.

Tractor
    L4400

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    When you find the woodchuck, thank him for it, and keep him downwind.
    -

Bob

From the heart of Cajun Country