Stump removal

/ Stump removal #1  

wedge40

Veteran Member
I'll post photos later today, but right now I'll try and describe my problem. I rented a 3ton excavator to remove some stumps. Took awhile to learn just how to operate the thing. I've always admired people who make it look easy, and now it has grown. Maybe I'm just challenged. :eek:
I have one stump "dug". This means I have a trench dug around the stump, probably about 12' in diameter. Now how do I get the root ball removed. I dug the trench too far from the stump to get a good grip with the FEL. I'm trying to avoid digging an access ramp to break the stump loose from the ground. Anyone have any suggestions on how to break the stump from the ground? I haven't hooked a chain up to see if I can just pull it loose. But for some reason I just think that's going to work.

Wedge

/ Stump removal #2  
I'll post photos later today, but right now I'll try and describe my problem. I rented a 3ton excavator to remove some stumps.
Does it have a thumb?
Took awhile to learn just how to operate the thing. I've always admired people who make it look easy, and now it has grown. Maybe I'm just challenged. :eek:
I have one stump "dug". This means I have a trench dug around the stump, probably about 12' in diameter. Now how do I get the root ball removed.
How big is the stump? Depends on the "root" ball, I had a deep tap root.
I dug the trench too far from the stump to get a good grip with the FEL.
Dig deeper.
I'm trying to avoid digging an access ramp to break the stump loose from the ground. Anyone have any suggestions on how to break the stump from the ground?
Use the excavator or your BH to "wiggle" it.

Attachments

• stump_before.JPG
    stump_before.JPG
    433 KB · Views: 256
  • stump_breakout.JPG
    stump_breakout.JPG
    416 KB · Views: 367
  • stump_hold_better.JPG
    stump_hold_better.JPG
    444.7 KB · Views: 320
  • taprootsm.jpg
    taprootsm.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 163
   / Stump removal
Does it have a thumb?
No thumb.

How big is the stump? Depends on the "root" ball, I had a deep tap root.
The stump is about 12" in diameter. I have either poplar or sugar maple to deal with.. I'm pretty sure most of these are poplar

Dig deeper.
I'm already about 2' down.. Like I said I can't get close enough to pick at with the FEL. How big was that one you have in the photo? I need to plan better as I have few that are 18"-20" in diameter.

Use the excavator or your BH to "wiggle" it.
Tired that a little.. First this morning I'll see what the tractor and chain can do. I've also though about looping a cable around the root ball and as I pull it will narrow like a noose, cutting the stump free.

Wedge

/ Stump removal #6  
Based on the photo I'd say you need to dig deeper.

For stump removal I rented a 12 ton machine and it was just enough. One thing to remember, at least on the oaks and other hardwood I deal with the center root stem goes way down, I've had to dig about 5 foot deep to get near the bottom, then with excavator, I peel it out using the stump to grab onto.

One thing with stumps, other than pines, which don't count, you've got to dig a lot deeper than you'd expect.

I"ve got a post on the subject.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-owning-operating/141898-stump-little-too-big-kioti.html

In the end I think you need to dig deeper. Otherwise like trying to pull a carrot out of the ground straight up, near impossible on a stump.

Joel

/ Stump removal #7  
Dig deeper.

I generally start digging stumps up against the stump moving out until the backhoe can rip the roots.

Then go down and get under it.

Keeps the hole smaller diameter but deeper.

/ Stump removal
Well after a few more hours, I managed to get it to wiggle with the excavator. I went back and dug about a 1' deeper. After lunch I think I'll try the tractor again. I started on a second stump and this one I'm trying to dig as close to the stump as possible. It's taken me awhile to learn how to tear through roots. You can get through some pretty big roots if you peel a little at time off. Good thing I've got the excavator for a week.
Also there are two mounting point on the bucket. One is close to the pivot point and one is farther aways. Which one gives more torque? I'm guessing the one farthest away?

Wedge

/ Stump removal #9  
You list a BH in your sig, did you try that?

Oh, and if you want to post a pic with your reply/post go down to additional options and manage attachments.

/ Stump removal
Yes I have a backhoe and I did try that but I wasn't too keen on spending 1 whole day or longer on a stump, and having to use an ax etc. So I rented an excavator. Kind of wishing I would have stepped up one more size though.

Success.
First Photo is where I was at this morning. Notice the second stump in the background to the right. I managed to get that stump out first and it was bigger. Second and third photos are of the problem child.. I had a heck of time getting it out of the hole once I broke it loose. I learned from the second stump that you kind have to feel your way around and stay as close to the stump as possible. The second root ball was much smaller and easier to handle. Last photo is of the hole from the two stumps and it shows the next victim.

Thanks for the pointers

Attachments

• DSC_0072.JPG
    DSC_0072.JPG
    453.9 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC_0073.JPG
    DSC_0073.JPG
    448.6 KB · Views: 325
  • DSC_0074.JPG
    DSC_0074.JPG
    445.9 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC_0077.JPG