Installing metal pole barn roof

/ Installing metal pole barn roof #11  
hey Flusher, what kind of wood is did you use for your shed? reddish color,yes?

The posts are 4x6 pressure treated. The rest of the frame is just ordinary framing lumber from Home Depot. I like to paint the frame pieces before assembly (hate to stand on a ladder with paint brush in hand). Used Behr exterior redwood wood stain (non-transparent type) also from HD.

/ Installing metal pole barn roof #12  
Hi all,
I'm about half way through the construction of my small pole barn (24X27X8). I've built it completely by myself and now I'm ready for the roof. I guess the my question is, can I walk on the roof as I nail down the metal? I've been really careful so far not to trust the purlins with my body weight. So I'm really struggling with how to nail down the roof metal without walking the roof.

Just finished mine this weekend, i had the Rafters up already, put rough cut 1x4 (true 1x4) across every 16" for strapping.

even before the metal, the whole thing was plenty strong enough to walk on.

i did the whole thing by standing/knweeling on the roof.

found it easier to screw the metal on vs reaching over from a ladder

/ Installing metal pole barn roof #13  
Like dr lee, I did not want to put much weight on the purlins of my 36x48' pole barn. My solution was to cut a sheet of 3/8" ply in half, then I leapfrogged from one of the 4x4' pieces to the next, moving the tools with me each time.

/ Installing metal pole barn roof #14  
We walked on ours, just be sure to walk where the steel is on top of wood not between the strapping or you could "dent" the roof a bit.

Suggestion: Use screws if you can instead of nails (the ones with the rubber gaskets). They are not cheap but they're much easier to work with if you have to do anything later on.

When we did screws one time we stacked all of the roofing in a pile and pre drilled holes for the screws. That way every single screw is in a straight line and man does it look tidy. I've also used string lines for this as the screws don't need pre drilled holes really.

/ Installing metal pole barn roof #15  
Pre drilling sure makes for a nice look on the finished product. Real pretty to see all the screws perfectly lined up.
Naturally that requires accurate placement of the purlins.

If walking on the roof is necessary, always walk on a screw head as that way you are sure that your weight is over a purlin and not on unsupported metal. That is the easiest way to avoid dents in the metal.
Also wear soft soled shoes (sneekers or gumm rubber soled work boots) as that will lessen slippage and marking.