Installing metal pole barn roof

/ Installing metal pole barn roof #1  

dr_lee29

Hi all,
I'm about half way through the construction of my small pole barn (24X27X8). I've built it completely by myself and now I'm ready for the roof. I guess the my question is, can I walk on the roof as I nail down the metal? I've been really careful so far not to trust the purlins with my body weight. So I'm really struggling with how to nail down the roof metal without walking the roof.

/ Installing metal pole barn roof #2  
Absolutely! Once you get some screws in a panel just step on the flat sections above the purlins.

/ Installing metal pole barn roof #3  
Hi all,
I'm about half way through the construction of my small pole barn (24X27X8). I've built it completely by myself and now I'm ready for the roof. I guess the my question is, can I walk on the roof as I nail down the metal? I've been really careful so far not to trust the purlins with my body weight. So I'm really struggling with how to nail down the roof metal without walking the roof.

What is the roof pitch?

/ Installing metal pole barn roof #4  
I found that I could screw each 3' width down from the side by simply reaching over from a ladder. This is a time when it would be nice to have a helper, one guy at the top and another towards the bottom, to help align each piece, and to screw it in. Believe me, if you screw it down according to specifications, it will go much faster with a helper. A good impact driver really helps rather than a drill-driver. I find it much lighter and easier to use for the 1000 or so screws that you will need. The only time I needed to get on the roof was to install the ridge cap. I too built my pole barn by myself, until I installed the metal.

/ Installing metal pole barn roof #5  
I built a shead for my tractor and put the entire roof on from a ladder even the ridge .

/ Installing metal pole barn roof #6  
you can install most of your metal panels standing inside the rafters just by reaching over. Panels are 3' right? last panel on each run you will have to get ON the roof. pad your ladder to avoid scratching the panels if they are painted and extend the ladder onto the roof matching the slope. if your ladder is too short,I clamped my ladder to the forks on my FEL and extended the height of the ladder and lowered it gently onto the roof.good luck

/ Installing metal pole barn roof #7  
I built a 32x60 pole barn with 12' eave height and put on every sheet of tin by myself, the pitch on my barn is only a 4/12 but I have never heard of anybody building a barn and not getting on the roof, not saying there's anything wrong with that, if it works for you great. Is the pitch of the roof to steep? are the trusses spaced to far apart the reason you did'nt want to put any weight on your purlin's?

/ Installing metal pole barn roof #8  
Hi all,

Here's how I did it last year when I build my equipment shed (20x28 ft, 10ft high in front, 9ft high in rear). I slid 18" wide x 8ft long pieces of 1/2" plywood between the purlins to support my weight as I installed the 29 ga metal roof panels. I moved the plywood as the roofing progressed.

DSCF0177Small.jpg

DSCF0172Small.jpg

It turned out that the roof panels would support my 175 lb weight with no problem, but I figured better safe than sorry. And using the plywood made the job a lot safer for this old coot (67 years old when I built that shed).

/ Installing metal pole barn roof #9  
I usually take some old carpet duct tape strips to the rails of a ladder and lay it on purlins or on tin if at end of wall
You just have to be careful moving ladder.
You also have to rig up a bracket to catch the ridge to keep from sliding off.

tom

/ Installing metal pole barn roof #10  
hey Flusher, what kind of wood is did you use for your shed? reddish color,yes?