Laying Pipe

/ Laying Pipe #1  

WVBill

Veteran Member
Tractor
Sold my Kubota B6100 when I moved to WA
I know this topic has been "done" before - just wanted to share pictures of my project yesterday evening. Took about 2 hours start to finish to lay almost 400' of 3/4" black poly pipe in 2 runs.

Pictures part 1 attached.

Attachments

• 33-164156-part1.jpg
    33-164156-part1.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 5,454
   / Laying Pipe
Laying Pipe part 2

Pictures part 2

Attachments

• 33-164159-part2a.jpg
    33-164159-part2a.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 4,062
   / Laying Pipe #3  
Re: Laying Pipe part 2

Nice place you've got there WVBill. So all of that poly pipe you put in was for watering the outlying areas? I am going to need to do something of that nature eventually. Are you just hooking up outdoor spigots to the ends of those pipes?

I'm not much of a plumber so I get easily confused while working with water.

/ Laying Pipe #4  
WVBILL

Generally, I don't like to use mechanical implements when laying pipe. I do , however, sometimes have dinner at a fine restaurant and have a bottle of wine.
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

RonL

/ Laying Pipe #5  

Nice job. I have a similar project to do. What type of plumbing fittings did you use to hook the poly pipe to the outdoor faucets? How deep is the pipe?

I want to just have those frost free faucets coming out of the ground at various intervals. Looks like a subsoiler might do the same thing as the rig you have there.

/ Laying Pipe

I haven't finished plumbing yet but I bought 3/4" barb - to - 1/2" fpt "el" fittings that I'll put at the end of the run. Then a 24" piece of 1/2" galvanized pipe will rise out of the ground with a faucet on top. I'll sink a 4' green fence "T" post into the ground right next to the 1/2" pipe riser for support.

I suppose I could skip the galvanized risers and just run the black poly up the support but 1) I wasn't sure about the UV resistance of black poly and 2) I didn't want to have to worry about hitting it with the weed whacker blade.

The poly pipe is only about 8" deep - doesn't run under any vehicle traffic areas. I'll blow it out with compressed air each fall.

On the supply end I'll add a npt - to - hose converter to the current outside sill cock and use a courrigated copper pipe to connect to the galvinized riser pipe. This way, I'm not altering the house's plumbing so no permits/inspections/etc. are required.

/ Laying Pipe #7  

WVBill,

<font color=blue>On the supply end I'll add a npt - to - hose converter to the current outside sill cock and use a courrigated copper pipe to connect to the galvinized riser pipe. This way, I'm not altering the house's plumbing so no permits/inspections/etc. are required.
</font color=blue>

Could you explain this a little more. Sorry for my ignorance. That is exactly what I'm looking to do (I think).

/ Laying Pipe #8  

Bill

They are a great tool hey !!

I can only use mine when the ground is soft, and have to cut the trench first like you say, then go back and lay the pipe in another pass.

I laid 400' of 1" pipe no worries.

My pipe layer has a much larger diameter pipe than yours and is supposed to lay up to 1 1/2" pipe.

Well the other day I tried to lay 1 1/4" pipe and it kinked all the time.

It was a cold day and I didn't have a ROPS or a helper so couldn't get the pipe nice and high like yours but I was dissappointed none-the -less.

I doubt if I could do 1 1/2" - It is way too rigid for the layer I think.

Cheers

/ Laying Pipe #9  
Just a compliment on such a nice place and such great photos with text... First class!

/ Laying Pipe

tdenny: I used this set up on the other side of the house. I'll take a picture tonight and post it with explanation.

Niel: It was 90 degrees F the day I laid my pipe and I set it out in the sun early in the day so it was good and warm. Funny thing: it was crimped on both ends of the 400 foot roll at the factory and when I went to cut it just prior to laying it the air pressure had built up from the heat of the day and as I sliced into the pipe the air release was quite a surprise!
Even on a hot day, I don't think 1 1/2" pipe would be flexible enough to make it through the bend of a pipe layer tool like ours.

emery - thanks.