40 x 75 shop

/ 40 x 75 shop #1  

Lawnman TX

Bronze Member
Tractor
Oliver 1800c Diesel, and Kubota 7040
I am getting ready to start building a shop out at our place. I am leaning towards a 40 x 75 x 16 with a 25 x 75 shedrow. Barn at a 3/12 pitch shed at 1/12

It will be a weld up out of I beam.

Any suggestions?

Anything you wish you had done or thought of before starting?

I have allready graded out the pad and am hoping to start next week.

Thanks,
Jason

/ 40 x 75 shop #2  
Please post some pics when you get going on it. I plan to do a homebrew weld up building also. I think you can save a lot that way.

/ 40 x 75 shop #3  
Good grading and slope of the surrounding area. Vapor barrier under slab. Insulation. Plumbing. Hoist beam with a beam trolley and/or jib hoist. Heat/cooling. Floor drains. Pad for air compressor outside under shedrow. Air header and manifold throughout shop. Make sure you include a rat-ledge when you pour your slab. Finish the floor with an epoxy. Good lighting. A good 200- 250 amp service. Service pit, unless you plan to add a carlift.

I might have some more come to mind later. I haven't had my coffee yet.

/ 40 x 75 shop #4  
An equipment cleaning area outside the shop with water, compressed air, and electrical connections so you can hook up a pressure washer and clean equipment or vehicles before putting them into your shop. You can put down pea gravel, but a concrete pad will be a lot easier on your knees than sharp gravel. It will save you having to constantly clean your shop.

/ 40 x 75 shop
Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming.

Was allready planning on the beam for the hoist, 3" insulation, ledge for the sheet metal with an extra purling run along the floor.

Shop pad is allready built up with good drainage, I will also be installing gutters.

200 amp panel planned as well.

There will be inslab plumbing for an apartment/office. I need to find a water fountain.

Washdown area is a good idea.

Thanks,
Jason

/ 40 x 75 shop #6  
Slopped concrete entry ramp... helps keep out the muck you washed off in the cleaning area.

Pea gravel base as thick as the concrete you pour the floor... and put in the expansion rubber pieces, all to prevent the concrete from cracking.

/ 40 x 75 shop #7  
I always thought of one extra thing that I wanted. I saw them on a lot of the old trolley barns (worked in one) and a lot of train yards have them.

I wanted an extention to the beam trolley that could extend outside the doors. A lot easier to do with split doors instead of overheads. But that would allow for lifting outside and then moving load indoors.

Don't forget to wire for any sound/internet/phone... I know all about wireless, but sometimes there is nothing better than good old cat5/6.

Also, make sure to put weatherproof boxes under the eaves every 10 feet or so. Nothing better than easy wiring for outdoor lights/security. And don't forget to put enough weatherproof electrical/air outside...