New Implement Shed

/ New Implement Shed #1  

damartin

Tractor
John Deere 790
Hello all, I have not posted for awhile because I've been busy. I got a new to me Timberking sawmill a few months ago and I have been working on an implement shed with the Hemlock lumber that I milled. The shed is 24' x 16' and 10' tall. I bought treated 4" x 6"s for the poles and treated 2" x 6"s for the bottom nailers but the rest of the lumber was cut onsite and milled with the new sawmill. The Hemlock trees are all dying so I have all the wood I want on the 92 acres were I have my cabin. I am planning to install a garage door and inside wall on 1/3 of the shed for the tractor, the other 2 bays will be open on 1 side for implements.
I also plan on building a pole barn to keep the sawmill in. The pole barn for the sawmill will be 30' x 40' with 20' rolling doors on 1 side to roll logs into the mill. I am planning to use Sonotubes and concrete for the sawmill shed so I won't have to buy treated lumber for the posts. I will have some questions when I start on the sawmill shed, the first one being, what are your thoughts on using trusses for the roof, I was thinking of using atic trusses in order to have some area for storage. Stick built with joists would be cheaper because the lumber is free but trusses may be a much simpler way to finish the roof. I was planning to use 6" x 6" posts every 8' with two 2" x 10" perlins to support the trusses and three 2" x 12"s reinforced with plywood for the 20' span where the big doors are located. If anyone has some better ideas let me know, thanks. I am attaching some pictures of the shed that I am currently building. I'm about out of hemlock siding so I need to cut some more trees and mill some more lumber, not a bad problem to have.

Attachments

• DSCN0743.JPG
    DSCN0743.JPG
    801.1 KB · Views: 1,219
  • DSCN0750.JPG
    DSCN0750.JPG
    712.4 KB · Views: 912
  • DSCN0754.JPG
    DSCN0754.JPG
    854.1 KB · Views: 499
  • DSCN0760.JPG
    DSCN0760.JPG
    824.7 KB · Views: 1,119
  • DSCN0764.JPG
    DSCN0764.JPG
    772.1 KB · Views: 1,013
   / New Implement Shed #3  
Very impressive. I've often dreamed of having my own sawmill. I think that with owning land and plenty of trees, that it's the perfect way to spend your time.

Thanks for the picture, and please keep them coming.

Eddie

/ New Implement Shed #5  
Looks great!

I'm hoping to start building my shed in the next week or two (the darn truck thing is takin' a toll on my life right now...in the shop since 6/25 and still no motor!).

I was impressed with the saw mill operation and operator that I had here to cut my logs
for my shed. I want one too! Guess, I gotta sell a lot of houses first.
BO-DADDY was a sawmill man

/ New Implement Shed #6  
That wood is almost too pretty to go on a shed. It should be in my den! :D

/ New Implement Shed #7  
Very cool! Love to see the sawmill stuff! Great to see the wood being used that way. I look forward to seeing the pics of the shed. Brian

/ New Implement Shed #8  
Looks good. Ive been helping my grandpa build barns for the summer and have learned a lot. The biggest one ive helped build was a horse arena that was 80' wide and 210' long. Last week was a 30'x40' shop. Today is my day off since They are putting metal on the roof and since I dont loke going on the roof, I took the day off. Oh, are you going to seal the wood siding?

/ New Implement Shed
Thanks for the comments, I didn't get any pictures this weekend but maybe I'll get some next weekend. We got the gable end finished and about 1/3 of the back side, including a door and 1 window. We also wired in a few recepticals and lights. Eddie I want to mention that I read most of your creating a lake thread and enjoyed it very much.
I am totally out of siding boards now and I guess I'll be cutting trees this weekend and getting them ready to be milled. The tree cutting and milling is the fun part for me so I'm looking forward to it. I don't know if I'll seal the wood or not, from what I have read the Hemlock will do well with no sealer as long as it doesn't touch the ground. I also read somewere on the internet that used transmission fluid will do well to preserve the wood. Any opinions?
Thanks again for the comments and I'll try to get a few pictures this weekend.

/ New Implement Shed #10  
Great looking shed and awesome source of wood.

The tranny fluid might work but that wood is too nice to put crap like that on it. If you are going to seal it, do it with something made for it. You could just let it age and see how it does for a couple of years. You can always pressure wash and stain / seal later if it is needed.

Keep the pics coming.