Hobby farm troubles

/ Hobby farm troubles #1  

NH-Rob

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7510HSD(sold) B3200(new 6/15/09)
My day did not start off too well this morning. I was shaving before work and the wife came down all frantic asking what was up with the pig. I opened the front door to hear him screaming. I ran all over the house trying to locate a gun that I could find bullets for. Man is it difficult to think when in a situation. I found the shot gun and some shells and ran out in the rain soaked lawn in socks and the bear was running off I fired into the air to spook it figuring all was well. I went back to check on the pig and he was cut up in good shape. I had to call a friend to come slauter it. I showed the wife how to shoot the gun again in case the bear came back but was sure it was gone for today. Two hours latter I get a call the bear was back. I ran home (work next door) and wife had my hunting rifle waiting for me this time and I capped that bear. I called fish and game and they came and checked things out and gave me a tag for the bear. I was in such a rush I never got pics of bear on tractor but I used it to retrieve the bear and hang the pig for slauter.
The first two pics are of our healthy pig and the last two of cut up pig. pics of bear next post,
Rob

Attachments

• DCFC0118.JPG
    DCFC0118.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 321
  • DCFC0120.JPG
    DCFC0120.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 231
  • DCFC0127.JPG
    DCFC0127.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 438
  • DCFC0128.JPG
    DCFC0128.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 348
   / Hobby farm troubles
here is the pics of the bear hanging in my garage.
Rob

Attachments

• DCFC0121.JPG
    DCFC0121.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 560
   / Hobby farm troubles #3  
Sour start of day indeed.
Looks to be male??..hope others bears take the hint to keep clear.

/ Hobby farm troubles #4  
On the positive side,

that bear hide should cover the financial loss of the pig. Certainly not your "normal" commuter type day!

/ Hobby farm troubles #5  
Rob, sorry for the loss of your pig, but you sure don't need that agressive bear around either! I'm glad it all worked out OK for you. We are having more of a bear problem down this way too. Too many folks think it's cute to see them lying in a pile of bird seed. We have Russian Boar get out of the local big game preserve too sometimes, but they tend to just tear up the yard more than anything else.

/ Hobby farm troubles #6  
Be very thankful it was a pig and not one of you or a child. Do you have any barking dogs? Would that help?

/ Hobby farm troubles #7  
I am surprised that the NH Fish & Game acknowledged the problem and gave you tag for the bear instead of wanting to know what the pig did to the bear to make the bear so mad.
I am sorry for the loss of your pig but am sure glad you gave the bear what for.

/ Hobby farm troubles #8  
Yikes:eek:

Glad you got that bad old bear, NOBODY needs an aggressive bear around. Sorry to hear about the poor pig, it was pretty cut up. Awful thing but if you had not got the bear you'd be worried sick, not to mention the wife!

/ Hobby farm troubles
My biggest problem is that the farm I work for has a corn field right behind my house and bear are every where. The owner loves bear and does not want them hunted. After I shot the bear it made its way into the field and I had to go find it and drag it out. I am some glad I made a good shot so it did not go far.
As far as barking dogs to scare off the bear I dont think my wifes dog is going to do it. Our old basset had a lot better bark to him but he passed away just before christmas.
Rob

Attachments

• DCFC0095.JPG
    DCFC0095.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 138
  • DCFC0112.JPG
    DCFC0112.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 112
  • sabrina pikers 144.jpg
    sabrina pikers 144.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 118
  • sabrina pikers 006.jpg