I need rain.... as I need to grade the road.

/ I need rain.... as I need to grade the road. #1  

FxdGrMind

Silver Member
Tractor
B7800
Ok, so it's been like 2 months since it last rained here... It's been 6 months since I last graded the 3/4 miles of road I maintain for the comunity and it's starting to get rutted (even on the flat section!).

Normally I wait for a nice drissly day where the soil is wet but not "Soaking", as this keeps the dust down and alows me to pack the road down by driving the 4x4 truck over it repeatedly to smooth it out and prevent it being dug up by the cars going up the hill.

But now it's been too dry and too long since last graded. I know they are going to be pissed if I grade, due to the dust. But if I don't it's going to get worse and the realy bad before fall rains return.

Also as it's rock hard and I don't have scarafiers only a blade, I'm thinking I may do harm rather than good as I'll not be able to turn the top 2-3" as I normaly do, then re-pack.

What do you folks do? Just let it go? or do the best you can then fix later when it gets damp?

/ I need rain.... as I need to grade the road. #2  
I let mine go until it is wet enough to be workable.

But then I only have 1/4 mile and we are the only ones using it. It is 15% all the way though.

/ I need rain.... as I need to grade the road. #3  
I really think a bit of rain is necessary... But try with a york rake instead of a blade. It really works well, and the tines are like little scarifiers. I've done it dry and it works. But wear a dust mask and go into the wind...

/ I need rain.... as I need to grade the road. #4  
Looks like you are going to get your chance this weekend.... Rain hopefully...

/ I need rain.... as I need to grade the road.
How about that... alas I'm a 'Voulenteer" sunday... guess I'll have to fit it in after work some time next week.

/ I need rain.... as I need to grade the road. #6  
As with most outdoor projects, mother nature's co-operation is required. I find that if I grade when it's too dry it takes much longer to get a smooth result. Once I'm finished the road is very loose, dusty and does not hold up well. I only did that when I first got the tractor and was anxious to get working.
Now I chat with the neighbours about my road maintenence methods, so they can understand why I do what I do.

/ I need rain.... as I need to grade the road. #7  
I hear tell that if you strip naked, glue some chicken feathers to your forehead, and the run up and down the road yelling, "RAIN" at the top of your lungs that you're rain problems will go away. Either it will indeed rain or after you're relocated to your new housing facility rain will be the least of your concerns. :D

/ I need rain.... as I need to grade the road. #8  
Ok, so it's been like 2 months since it last rained here... It's been 6 months since I last graded the 3/4 miles of road I maintain for the comunity and it's starting to get rutted (even on the flat section!).

Normally I wait for a nice drissly day where the soil is wet but not "Soaking", as this keeps the dust down and alows me to pack the road down by driving the 4x4 truck over it repeatedly to smooth it out and prevent it being dug up by the cars going up the hill.

But now it's been too dry and too long since last graded. I know they are going to be pissed if I grade, due to the dust. But if I don't it's going to get worse and the realy bad before fall rains return.

Also as it's rock hard and I don't have scarafiers only a blade, I'm thinking I may do harm rather than good as I'll not be able to turn the top 2-3" as I normaly do, then re-pack.

What do you folks do? Just let it go? or do the best you can then fix later when it gets damp?

I always preferred to blade when it is dry. You can move around the surface rock without tearing up the crust. Sometimes I feel like I do more harm than good with the road is moist. But then again where I live, when the road is moist, it is likely to get soggy at any time and may not dry for days or weeks.

/ I need rain.... as I need to grade the road. #9  
With your blade, do you rotate it and lower probably the right side some to grade the road? If I do that mine cuts much much better than set straight and level on hard dry dirt where it will bounce along. Also the angle of your third arm can affect this longer sometimes helps as it can set blade more to slice into the dirt.

/ I need rain.... as I need to grade the road.
Yup, blade is double swivel. (angle and tilt)

But I set it up with the R-side 3pt arm lower (minor adjustment) so that I can crown the road and also angle to cut nicely, mixing the rock and binder back together as they tend to separate as the road wears.

I was just wondering what you all do... maybe there was a "Dry" way that was better than what I've had luck with in the distant past.

I don't want to water it by hand..... then grade... that is not an option.:D