PTO universal disassembly

/ PTO universal disassembly #1  

Zebu Fellenz

Hello,

I have a PTO shaft off of a 6' King Kutter bush hog. We are going to use this shaft on a potato digger but need to remove the slip clutch first. The clutch is stuck on very tight, we have heated it cherry red all the way around with a rosebud to little affect.

We have tried hammering it off, and twisting it off with a 48" pipe wrench. nothing is really moving it quickly or far. Our next step is to try a gear puller on it, however to do this we need to break apart the universal on the end of the PTO shaft, I have already removed the snap rings but I'm unsure what the next step is. At first I thought I could punch it out but it's looking more and more like the two sides were pressed in?

Anyone know how these things come apart, or have advice on how to better move the stuck clutch, yes it has been soaking in penetrating oil.

Thanks,

Erik Fellenz :)

/ PTO universal disassembly #2  
Hydraulic shop press.

/ PTO universal disassembly #3  
Press is cool.

Can do it with a vice and a hammer and work slowly - you don't want to smash the heck out of it, just tap it apart.

You will end up with a handful of needle bearings, don't lose any. use stiff grease to hold the needles back in place for re assembly. Be prepared to pull apart again & put the fallen needle bearing back in place - btdt.

A socket helps to squish things together with the vice.

--->Paul

/ PTO universal disassembly #4  
Whether using a vice or hydraulic press, having a large socket on the side the bearing is coming out and a small socket on the side doing the pressing works pretty well. By "large socket", I mean, large enough to allow the entire bearing cap assembly to fit into it as it is being pressed out. By "small socket", I mean large enough to fit over the bearing cap you are pressing on, but small enough to fit in the hole. Hope that makes some sense.

Also, an "old Indian trick" taught me by a mechanic friend is to give a slight tap or series of taps on the side of the yoke as you are pressing with either the vice or press. This helps the bearing cap slide through and works well for either assembly or disassembly.

Good luck.