Free Sandstone Boulders

/ Free Sandstone Boulders
Egon, Studor, Scooby, et all... Thanks guys for the ideas. Using the 3pt because it is stronger is a good idea.

Regarding the A frame. There is a lot of timber on the property and the owner has flagged several trees (many are good straight oaks) to be removed and they are mine for the taking. Although as Egon suspects, I don't know enough to make close calcs as to strength of materials, I am no stranger to vector analysis and do know if I over engineer the scantlings sufficiently it will not be a problem.

I kind of like the A frame idea or even a tripod. Long logs lashed together at the top of the "A" or tripod with the winch cable passing through a sheave (snatch block) affixed to the top of the A or tri and then down to the rock. Reel in the winch line and SHAZAM! the rock goes up vertically, high enough to back the trailer underneath. It requires two people to be able to get both trucks on site and a second person to help when erecting the tripod would be handy.

Not that the 3pt isn't a good idea but my tractor is small and the rocks are really heavy as in several thousand pounds (a couple tons at least) and some are larger. If I could lift one side, put cord wood under, lift the other side and put cord wood under, lather rinse repeat... until rock is higher than trailer bed and then back up the trailer till the rock overlaps the trailer bed a little and then...??? Try to push the rock onto the trailer? Use winch to try to winch the rock onto the trailer? This may be as good or better than the A frame or tripod, just not as nifty looking in the inevitable photo documentation.

Photo documentation: Aug 24 was birthday 66 and I got two main presents: 1. Nikon D90 DSLR and 2. a laptop computer. It is a poor workman who blames his tools but... Previous camera was limiting with its 3.1 Mega Pixels and limited zoom with no Image Stabilization vs the Nikon with a bit over 12 MP and 18-250 zoom lens with Optical Image Stabilization to virtually eliminate image blur due to my less than perfectly steady hands, especially when zoomed way out.

I'll probably post pix of whatever lash up works and hopefully there will be no 911 calls.

Thanks again for the 3pt reminders/suggestions.

Pat

/ Free Sandstone Boulders #12  
Logs equals levers plus downward push with a loaded bucket gives more options.:D:D

/ Free Sandstone Boulders #13  
When I recently had to move rocks that were located too close to the barn I rediscovered the old principle of "easier to drag than lift .. ". If you can find something to use as a ramp you will be amazed at how easily those rocks will slide into the trailer --:) JMHO