Staining My New Barn

/ Staining My New Barn #1  

dennis33

Tractor
JD 3038E
Now that the barn is finished, I'm thinking of using WOODguard brand semi-transparent 'Honey 2000' stain and preservative for the siding and a forest green semi-solid stain for the trim.

Am I wrong by using an oil-based stain and not using an oil or latex paint?

I know that I'll have to re-apply the stain more often than paint but I don't want to hide the beauty of the wood with paint either.

Picasa Web Albums - Dennis - Barn Pictures

Dennis in NJ, Barn in PA

/ Staining My New Barn #2  
That's what I always used on house-barn-garage -sheds and had VG results put on with HP sprayer Put 2 coats on in a 2 week period works better 1st coat sucks in then another coat, I used Cabots on the last shed I built could not buy oil based at SW anymore,You can always put water base over oil base but you can't put oil over water base that is what they told me at SW years ago.

/ Staining My New Barn #3  
we just painted our barn. Only got 3.5 sides done so far and im up to 20 gallons. Our barn was built in 1950-51. It just soaked up the paint. One thing i much say is invest in a airless sprayer. WORTH EVERY PENNY IMO. took 2.5hrs to paint the barn(its 42`x40` and 22` at the peak.)

/ Staining My New Barn #4  
Huh? Personal opinion based on a series of 1 is not particularly useful. Review Consumers Reports of June 2008. Nothing much is rated well after 6 years, which is a major improvement from "3 years and repeat application" of every product listed a decade ago. Some opaque stuff gets to "average" for outdoor applications at 6 years, but nothing semi-transparent gets past 3 years at that rating. Whatever, using the ratings, I've coated the walkway and dock on my property with Behr Deck Plus (good at 6 years per CR, but, then again, I've a salt water environment, high humidity and high summer heat - so, only time will tell). However you decide, a UV and moisture coating will keep the wood in better shape longer (how much longer is a question), and that'll pay off, if not for you, then your children.

/ Staining My New Barn #5  
Dennis that is a great looking barn. What kind of wood did you use for the siding? I think oil base stain or paint is better that latex for exterior use.
What are the dimensions of the barn?

/ Staining My New Barn #6  
Dennis, my recommendation would be a water borne Stain, not conventioanl Oil. Most of the top notch Log Home companies now use waterborne stains. They last just as long (if not longer) than conventional oil stains, they dont trap moisture in the wood (they breathe) and therefore the wood never turns Black (like it can with conventional Oil based), and dont blister or peel.

here's what i use (i dont have a log home, but i use these stains on my Deck and on the Wood on the house, etc.. after doing a pile of research last year)

Ican say that ive not seen any evidence of blistering or peeling at all on places (log homes) that have been stained with this stuff after 7 years. thats what sold me on this type of stuff. So far, mine has only been on for a year, but it looks just like it did they day after i put it on.

http://www.truenorthloghomes.com/why/buy/log-home-stains.php

Last edited:
   / Staining My New Barn #7  
very nice barn dennis! personally, I would paint it the traditional red barn paint but i understand you wanted to have natural like look of wood.

/ Staining My New Barn
Thanks for the replies.

The barn is 30 x 32 on a full foundation (local code doesn't allow slabs). 10' ceilings on the first floor and a large 2nd floor.

The wood was cut and milled locally. Looks like yellow or white pine. It was installed with the rough side facing out.

The WOODguard product has UV blockers to help with damage from the sun. It is also EPA registered as a pesticide to prevent insect damage. I've used it many years ago on my gazebo and it lasted for about 6 years.

I'm happy to share my pictures with everyone.

Thanks again.

Dennis

/ Staining My New Barn #9  
Huh? Personal opinion based on a series of 1 is not particularly useful. Review Consumers Reports of June 2008. Nothing much is rated well after 6 years, which is a major improvement from "3 years and repeat application" of every product listed a decade ago. Some opaque stuff gets to "average" for outdoor applications at 6 years, but nothing semi-transparent gets past 3 years at that rating. Whatever, using the ratings, I've coated the walkway and dock on my property with Behr Deck Plus (good at 6 years per CR, but, then again, I've a salt water environment, high humidity and high summer heat - so, only time will tell). However you decide, a UV and moisture coating will keep the wood in better shape longer (how much longer is a question), and that'll pay off, if not for you, then your children.

Series of 1 ????
4 houses 3 barns 4 garages 4 sheds that i have owned,plus my parents house that my dad made the stain for back in the 50's and all of my uncles homes and garages ETC.
To many people put faith in Consumer Reports I have bought CR recommended appliances paint ETC and was not pleased with the results I got.

/ Staining My New Barn #10  
Dennis-
We used a solid Cabot's oil-based stain on our board and batten barn three years ago and have been very happy with the result. It still looks very good. Our siding was pine with the rough side out as well. You may want to back brush the stain if you apply it with a sprayer as the joint where the battens overlap the boards needs good coverage. After being in the sun you may find occasional areas where an unstained thin line shows up next to the batten after it has shrunk alittle. We used two coats of stain. Your barn looks great! - Mike