leveling yard

/ leveling yard #11  
.... Stay away from sand if you have clay soil---clay + sand = cement!

Actually, if you use coarse sand, it helps break up the clay And also what kthompson, said, use coarse organic material too - as in this extract I am quoting from...

"Two of the best amendments for clay soil are coarse sand and coarse organic matter such as compost. Coarse sand is also sometimes called builders' sand. The particles are relatively large, especially when compared to the finer sands used for sandboxes. Finer sands may actually make your problem worse. There are lots of types of organic matter available for gardening but not all of them will help improve clay soil. It must be coarse. Avoid fine-textured material such as peat moss or the packaged manures. If possible, find a source for a coarse compost or aged manure. Check with your city to see if they have a compost site for leaves yard waste."

/ leveling yard #12  
In our area we can get composted compost from the county. There's also some beaches where one can pick up seaweed.:D

/ leveling yard #13  
In our area we can get composted compost from the county. There's also some beaches where one can pick up seaweed.:D

We have a county compost facility here too - they want $40 a ton, and it's 40 miles away, so the cost gets prohibitive counting distance charges for someone to pick up a good load. It would take 10 trips in a pickup to get the amount I would need! Now the seaweed, I hadn't thought about that but have seen neighbours use it. And lobster shells, :) although they attract a lot of birds.