Advice Needed. Sealing a Metal Barn Roof!

/ Advice Needed. Sealing a Metal Barn Roof! #1  

iplumb

Gold Member
Tractor
B2920
I have a 30 year old white metal pole barn roof that leaks at the fasteners. Anybody know of any good spray or roll on sealers? Anybody been down this road with advise would be greatly appreciated.....Don't really want to pull all the nails and use screws but if thats what it takes. THANKS:confused:

/ Advice Needed. Sealing a Metal Barn Roof! #2  
I have used a brand called "Elastomatic" got it at a Home Depot or other chain home store. Not sure what all colors it comes in but I got White. I have bought it in Tubes like a caulk and also in a gallon bucket, it is sort of Rubbery and has something like 25 year guaranty. Has worked really well for me.

/ Advice Needed. Sealing a Metal Barn Roof! #3  
I'm guessing after 30 yrs the nails are loose plus the rubber around the nail heads have seen there better days.
I would first try and renail the roof anything that seems loose try and renail if that doesn't seem to help pull out the nail and use a roofing screw .After doing that you may have to use the metal sealer like 'bpattie' used Elastomatic
Good luck and be careful !!!!!!!

/ Advice Needed. Sealing a Metal Barn Roof! #4  
Were nails or screws used? If it was nails, then sealing them wont do anything because the nails are loose and the metal will continue to move on you.

Either way, make sure your fasteners are tight. Screws might have to be replaced with longer ones, and nails should be replaced with screws. Tighten them so the rubber gaskets just beging to bulge. Do not overtighten them, because the rubber gasket can break or turn on you, which will then leak.

There are quite a few pretty good products out there for sealing holes in a roof. Henry is sold at Home Depot, and a product that I've had really good results with. There are others, but I've found that you get what you pay for is sealers. The cheap stuff isn't worth the savings, especially when you have to go back up there and remove it to put down the better stuff.

Read the labels, buy a sealant that is rated for flashing and/or metal. There are a variety of sealants out there, but not all are for use on metal.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Advice Needed. Sealing a Metal Barn Roof! #5  
I would agree with Eddie and others that mention that the nails will continue to expand contract or move. THe Elastomatic product though is a flashing sealant and the slightly rubberized cured product seems to have enough give to not leak. I put it right over old nails and it has held up for 7 years at this point with no leaks.

/ Advice Needed. Sealing a Metal Barn Roof! #6  
One more thing I would add is to get a roll of the white mesh and cut pieces of it and then coat with the white stuff. Have a shed that was doing the same thing and did just the coating of the nails. Eventually started to tear and leak after several years. Put the mesh on and recoated. No leaks, and its been 9 years now.

/ Advice Needed. Sealing a Metal Barn Roof! #8  
I'd pull the nails, wire brush any corrosion off, and screw it down. Seems like I either used a piece of wood or something I welded up with the V strip profile to put on the roof so I could pull the nails without denting the roofing which will cause more problems. Most of my nails pulled straight out with a pair of nippers anyway. If the nail holes are too large to seal up, there are a variety of caulk tube sealants you can seal up the hole with.

If you mop down sealant everywhere instead, it might be easier at first, but I'm not sure how long a repair it would be. And if you price replacement roofing, it gives you an incentive to really try to repair your existing roof the best way you can.

/ Advice Needed. Sealing a Metal Barn Roof! #9  
hmmmmm i have a number of leaks in my barn roof that i would like to fix.

but the idea of replaceing fasners on a 30x60 poll barn roof arnt exciting.

but i suppose thats the only way im going to fix the leaks.

/ Advice Needed. Sealing a Metal Barn Roof! #10  
the other problem is the possible rotting nailer under the roof. Once those nail holes started leaking then the wood underneath has been getting wet. Using screws may not work.