How do you Lock your Sliding Barn Door?

/ How do you Lock your Sliding Barn Door? #11  
I have two long crossed wires wrapped around a nail that go from the outside ends of the main posts to the middle. Then I have two brackets on each barn door that hold a 2 x 8 x 4' in the middle of the doors (so they can't pull them apart) and then I have a latch with a padlock on each barn door where the main posts are next to the door at. It's one of those flexable ones you use with a padlock that has a turning piece in the middle for the lock to go through. I also have chains on the same area on one end and have another wire on the other side with a nail on both ends. On the other end of the barn I have nails on the outside doors that i pull each time I need to get in and also have it chained on one side to the same main posts next to the barn door. And then it's just a normal padlock as well on the regular barn sliding latches. This method seems to work pretty well keeping out people that have tried to pry in. Although, if they wanted in they'd just cut a hole in the barn siding. It would be a lot easier.

Steve

/ How do you Lock your Sliding Barn Door?
I have two long crossed wires wrapped around a nail that go from the outside ends of the main posts to the middle. Then I have two brackets on each barn door that hold a 2 x 8 x 4' in the middle of the doors (so they can't pull them apart) and then I have a latch with a padlock on each barn door where the main posts are next to the door at. It's one of those flexable ones you use with a padlock that has a turning piece in the middle for the lock to go through. I also have chains on the same area on one end and have another wire on the other side with a nail on both ends. On the other end of the barn I have nails on the outside doors that i pull each time I need to get in and also have it chained on one side to the same main posts next to the barn door. And then it's just a normal padlock as well on the regular barn sliding latches. This method seems to work pretty well keeping out people that have tried to pry in. Although, if they wanted in they'd just cut a hole in the barn siding. It would be a lot easier.

Steve
Wow:eek: Maybe I'm not that pariniod....

/ How do you Lock your Sliding Barn Door? #13  
I hung a photo of my mother-in-law just inside the door. If anyone slides the door back to get a peek in, the first thing they see is her face. Nothing lost yet...

/ How do you Lock your Sliding Barn Door? #14  
I hung a photo of my mother-in-law just inside the door. If anyone slides the door back to get a peek in, the first thing they see is her face. Nothing lost yet...

I used to do that until a crook sued my for emotional trauma and I lost. :D

/ How do you Lock your Sliding Barn Door? #15  

For the past 31 years every time I have tried to take a photo of my Mother-In-Law, the lens of my camera cracks!!:rolleyes:

/ How do you Lock your Sliding Barn Door?
:eek:Wow you guys are brutal.

/ How do you Lock your Sliding Barn Door? #17  
I just have a sign that says "You are in Range" -- cannot do the mother - in - law thing -- she was truly a lovely woman -- my father used to tell me always look at the mother -- it was gonna be what the daughter was like in thirty years:rolleyes:

/ How do you Lock your Sliding Barn Door? #18  
I just have a sign that says "You are in Range" -- cannot do the mother - in - law thing -- she was truly a lovely woman -- my father used to tell me always look at the mother -- it was gonna be what the daughter was like in thirty years:rolleyes:

we are getting off topic - but yeah I agree with the look at mother part.

anyway my grandparants sliding door barn had a sliding bolt with arm sticking thru the "peephole" that would lock down and a hasp went over that to lock the whole thing instead of hasp on the sill and door. Unforunately they are 2 hours drive so can't take a picture. :( hopefully this would give you an idea.

/ How do you Lock your Sliding Barn Door? #19  
my father used to tell me always look at the mother -- it was gonna be what the daughter was like in thirty years:rolleyes:

I tell my boys the same thing...it's generally pretty close. My wife IS an exception to the rule though, at 43 yrs old she still has the body of a teenager. The problem with that is I can chase her around the house all I want but a 47 yr old body can't catch her;)

/ How do you Lock your Sliding Barn Door? #20  
I used a 6" "Gatehouse" zinc swivel Hasp (#0309008) from Lowes. Bend the long portion contain the slot 90 degrees out away from the short portion that has the four mounting holes. You should straighten out the two slight bends that it comes with.