New Barbwire fence with metal corner post

/ New Barbwire fence with metal corner post #1  

green duck

I am building a new barbwire fence and plan to use metal corner post. The reason I want to use metal is because I have a bunch laying around, i.e. 4''x4'' and 5''x5'' square tubing. I plan on concreting in the "H" corner post.

My question is, how do I attach the barbwire to the metal "H" corner post? Should I just weld on little loops on the post and wire on the barbwire, or put a turnbuckle on the loop?

I have a portable welder and plan to build the corner post in the field. Any tips before I get started?

Thanks

/ New Barbwire fence with metal corner post #2  
I am building a new barbwire fence and plan to use metal corner post. The reason I want to use metal is because I have a bunch laying around, i.e. 4''x4'' and 5''x5'' square tubing. I plan on concreting in the "H" corner post.

My question is, how do I attach the barbwire to the metal "H" corner post? Should I just weld on little loops on the post and wire on the barbwire, or put a turnbuckle on the loop?

I have a portable welder and plan to build the corner post in the field. Any tips before I get started?

Thanks

A lot of fence around here is built with wrapping it around the post and wrapping the end back around itself. Some do use the clips that weld on. I've not seen turnbuckles used nor have I used them but would be an option. Would help in re-stretching the wire as long as you have the travel on the turnbuckle to get it back tight enough. Problem with any kind of re-stretching is that if you use t-posts and clips you have to take the clips loose to re-strech.:mad:

/ New Barbwire fence with metal corner post #3  
jayste and i must be looking at the same fences. i've seen wire wrapped around metal fence posts and eyelets welded on to the post, but never turnbuckles.

/ New Barbwire fence with metal corner post #4  
I would double wrap the post then wrap the wire around itself. You shouldn't have to re-stretch the wire if you get it good the first time.

If you want to weld clips on, use some 1/4- 3/8 chain links, works good for cable fence to.

You wouldn't want to tight of a bend in the wire, that's why I would wrap it around the post.

/ New Barbwire fence with metal corner post #5  
How about welding a I bolt to the post or an I bolt screwed into a turn buckle? You could tighten the fence too using either.

/ New Barbwire fence with metal corner post
Ha, believe it or not, on my way home last night after work my neighbor up the road was putting one of these in just like you guys have described. He wrapped the wire around the post a couple times then back onto itself.

Now all I have to do it set and weld up the corners and build the gate. Just need to figure out the gate design, probably two gates that meet in the middle. Reason for two gates is heavy duty logging equipment will be needing to get through one day.

I'll probably do one about 10' and the other about 20', with one of them staying shut except for when the machinery needs to come through. I was thinking about concreting in a short piece of pipe, level with the ground and having another piece of pipe that's attached to one of the gates that drops down to hold the gate in place.

One more question; should I fill the corner posts, 4'' x 4'' square tubing, with concrete. I plan on concreting them in the ground, but should I pour concrete down in the tubing for extra strength? Is this overkill?

Any other suggestions are welcome, thanks.

/ New Barbwire fence with metal corner post #7  
If your post are set 2-3' deep and you weld it up good you will be fine, Take your empty concrete bags, push them down into the pipe about 6"+ and fill the top with cement then finish either rounded top or flat. Or you could weld an ornamental top to the post.

Purpose is to keep out water.

/ New Barbwire fence with metal corner post #8  
Yes sir I'd do as Western said. I'd also say you're correct that you'll need that 20' gate opening for the heavy machinery.

Jay