Pond Qestion and advice

/ Pond Qestion and advice #1  

brin

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles eas
I have a 2 Acre spring fed pond and we had a leak in the old spillway pipe which caused the pond to drop 2 & 1/2 feet before we got it repaired and now due to all the rain we have gotten in Georgia the pond is back up to full pool and the new spillway pipe at the dam is working great.

Here is my problem and question...While the pond was down grass grew about 3 feet out from the bank all around the pond and the grass is tall ..so now from the bank you see about 3 feet of water surface as you look out and then about a 2 foot area of grass coming up out of the water with about 6 inches of the grass blades breaking the water surface and then the rest of the pond just water surface..I know it will be great for the bass and brim in the lake but it looks like heck..will the water eventually kill the grass, I mean the grass is now growing in a pond and only about 6 in. of the grass is above the surface of the water ? and second ..will the grass carp I have in the pond get rid of the grass ? If not what should I do ? if anything. Thanks - all suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
   / Pond Qestion and advice #2  
I'd leave it alone and let it die on it's own. If you are lucky, it will make it through spring and offer cover for you baby fish. But I think that in a few months, there won't be any sign of it.

Eddie

/ Pond Qestion and advice
Thanks Eddie, My wife is the one that was concerned due to the look and you have confirmed what I told her I thought....that the grass could not live with it's root underwater, so I will wait and see what developes and it will provide good cover for the Bass..By the way I follow your projects with interest - you folks are staying busy and really developing a nice place there..congrats...& thanks again.

/ Pond Qestion and advice #4  
I don't know, our grass seems to grow fine here in Oregon. Up through the water I mean.

Attachments

• IMG_2603.JPG
    IMG_2603.JPG
    866.8 KB · Views: 268
   / Pond Qestion and advice #5  
It depends on what kind of grass it is. If it is the kind that was already growing in the water then it will live, if it is the kind that grows out of the water then it will die.

/ Pond Qestion and advice #6  
The grass carp should clean it out totally. They are overly effective.

/ Pond Qestion and advice
I don't know, our grass seems to grow fine here in Oregon. Up through the water I mean.

Thanks for the picture and your reply...That is the way my pond looked until we got all the rain and the sprin started back up ..so now using your photo imagine another 2 feet of water in your pond so that the grass was only 4 to 6 inches above the surface of the water. I wonder if it can live submerged like that..I think it must be wild fescue since we never had any water type or aquatic type grasses in the pond - just since the water dropped 2 and half feet did that occur over a month long period..

/ Pond Qestion and advice #8  
Well I am not an expert on grasses, but this grass that is along the edges of the ponds around my place, grows equally well both in and out of the water, as long as it can protrude above the water line.

The bass and bluegill love it. So do the ducks and geese. Personally I think it makes the ponds look nicer, as long as I can find a clear spot to bring my lures back through, when I am fishing :)

/ Pond Qestion and advice #9  
Key to keeping out the 'Grass" is to keep the slope of the pond "Steep" up to the shore line. As in a steep drop off to 3+ feet of water.

I think your situation will clear its self for the most part as the full pool kills off the grass that is deeper than 6".

I take every opportunity when my pond goes dry, to dig it deeper and maintain the steep shoreline profile.

Cheers

/ Pond Qestion and advice #10  
I also agree with the steep shore line. I'd also if possible get a BH/exavator with a ditch bucket and clean it out before it becomes a bigger problem. It may die off, BUT what if it just starts speading, then it'll be harder to get rid of. Up here we have a huge problem with cattails, if you don't stay on top of them they're like wildfire and can spread out of control in no time.