Tractor Storage Shed

/ Tractor Storage Shed #1  

gusg

Silver Member
Tractor
B7510 with R4s
I have a B7500HSD that I plan on putting in a 12' X 16' or 20' shed. The literature for the sheds says that the wood flooring that is used will support a minivan. I am trying to save some $$$ after spending $15K on a tractor and implements. Has anyone else used a setup like this?

The concrete, if I can get anyone to do such a small job, will probably add about $1000 to the job. The wood flooring is included with the shed. The flooring is 5/8" plywood sitting on 4 X 4s that are spaced about every 24 inches.

/ Tractor Storage Shed #2  
Boy, Gus - I'd think twice about the weight of a tractor winding up toward the center of one of those 24" spans - 5/8" plywood isn't much ...

On the other hand, if you could invest in some extra 4x4's (maybe 4 or 6), and lay them under the plywood where you know the tires will go, and mark the plywood on the up side so you can be sure to pull in on those reinforced areas ... that might do it ...

You are right - concrete is $$$!

Good luck,

Jim

/ Tractor Storage Shed #3  
GusG,

If this is going to be a permenant structure I would opt for the cement floor, or crushed stone this year and cement next year. The wood floor will only be a problem down the road when you want it out and cement in.

Another question is do you have any plans or is this a ready built design. I am actually in the very same (or close to it) boat as you. The new house is going up, tractor is planned for Sept/Oct. (after move in) and I already know I need a shed. If I planned right I would start now, but not allot of extra $$$ this year. Do you have a link or any details on your plans?

/ Tractor Storage Shed #4  
What I'd do gus if I was thinking along that line would be to buy the building with the wood floor. And I'd pick me up some two by eights or tens and lay them down on the top of the floor to drive my tractor on. That would be plenty strong and if you use some screws something you can remove or modify as your circumstances change.

There's a whole bunch of other ways to do it. But those two bys are gonna last about the same amount of time as the decking. Maybe by then you'll be able to concrete the floor in yourself or give that one to the missus for yard sale storage and build the one you really want for the tractor.

/ Tractor Storage Shed #5  
When I was building my 12x16 shed the plans showed using 2 4x4 skids, with 2x4 joists, and 5/8th ply. I thought that a little light. I made mine with 4 4x4 skids, 2x6 joists, and 3/4 ply. I have had no problem yet. Heres a link to the construction post I made at the time.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=photos&Number=66004&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post66004>http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=photos&Number=66004&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post66004</A>

Oh and I STILL have not finnished it yet./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Tractor Storage Shed #6  
I guess concrete must be cheaper here in the UK! (about time something was!) We bought a good solid second hand 15' x 12' wooden shed without floor for our tractor house. Converting ours by taking out one 15' side wall and turning it into an open sided barn which makes it easier to park the tractor and implements alongside. Having to raise it on a three sided concrete block wall due to the rops height. The concrete base floor approx 17' x 15' x 5" cost only £150. Mixed on site by supplier and layed by us.

/ Tractor Storage Shed #7  
In my area I can get concrete delivered for about $70/yd plus $45 delivery fee if less than 4 yds. At 4" thick, it would take about 2.5yds to do a 12'x16' floor. So, concrete would cost about $220 for that size floor if I did the work.

The last time I priced 4x4's they were about $5. If I space them 2' apart it would take 14 of them, plus 3 more for the ends, so 17 total, which comes to $85. I'm not sure what 5/8" treated plywood costs, but I recently bought 3/4" for about $26 a sheet, so I'm guessing 5/8" would be about $22. I would need 6 sheets, which comes to $132. So, not counting nails, a floor made of treated lumber would cost $217 if I did the work. Add the nails and it goes over $220.

I realize the concrete would require preparing the surface first, but even if you just do a quick job it will be better than the wood floor. You’ll also have to level the ground for the wood floor, which is not easy to do. A concrete floor would not have to have a perfect finish for this application, so the work would not be much different than building the wood floor and would certainly be much stronger and last a lot longer. So, I would go with concrete.

/ Tractor Storage Shed #8  
Be sure to slope your concrete floor towards the door for drainage. that way it will dry out quicker after you park your freshly washed tractor in it.

/ Tractor Storage Shed #9  
Another thing we do is, on top of the hardcore base, add a good layer of sand and then a plastic damp course liner on top before pouring in that concrete.