Moonville Rail Trail

/ Moonville Rail Trail #1  

DJ54

Elite Member
Tractor
IH Farmall 656 gas/ IH 240 Utility/ 2, Super C Farmalls/ 2, Farmall A's/ Farmall BN/McCormick-Deering OS-6/McCormick-Deering O-4/ '36 Farmall F-12/ 480 Case hoe. '65 Ford 2000 3 cyl., 4 spd. w/3 spd Aux. Trans
Here is a project we are working on known as the Moonville Rail Trail. Through private grants, and donations, we purchased a section of abandoned B&O railbed, acquired from a private owner, who purchased it from the now CSX railroad. On this section of rail trail is a tunnel known as the Moonville Tunnel. This tunnel is located near what was the small mining town of Moonville. You can google Moonville Tunnel, and find numerous stories of it supposedly being haunted, and the stories behind it.

This trail is a muscle powered only trail, for Hikers, Bikers, and Equestrains. This section of trail we are working on now runs through the Zaleski State Forest, in SE Ohio.

When the railroad abandoned this line, they pulled all the bridges, but did leave the abutments. Grading the trail, and clearing back the overgrown brush is/was the easy part. We needed to put on our thinking caps, and figure out how to put bridges back, in a manner where as we could realistically afford it. We got estimates from some professional engineers, and they gave us a quote of at least 1.1 million dollars..!! With that amount increasing 10% every year, there after... :eek:

We have some bridges that need replaced that are 50' spans. There was some discussion where some parks, and even some road depts. down south used abandoned flatcars for bridges. We did some scouting around, and did find someone to donate us 4, 50' cars... The trucks, and drawbars were removed to suit our purpose.

A local contractor who's work was a little slow at the time, agreed to haul and set the cars for actual cost. Just to keep his guy's working... What a great guy..!!

But..., we needed to clear brush on the trail 12' high and 12' wide to get the equipment in. His operator's are a little particular when it come's to their trucks and cranes... So we spent 3 days clearing almost 3 miles of rail bed of brush with hand pole trimmers, and pruners. One fellow brought his Stihl Pole Saw, and cut some larger, higher stuff. Thanks Glenn..!! But that's a lot of weight to carry for that long of distance..!! Although we did have pickups, and a gator for support vehicles.

Here are a few shots of our first rail car arriving, and working on getting it in postion to set.

Attachments

• DSC01208.jpg
    DSC01208.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 597
  • DSC01210.jpg
    DSC01210.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 913
  • DSC01212.jpg
    DSC01212.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 429
   / Moonville Rail Trail
Here are some shots of swinging it in to position. The fellow walking across the car is measuring the distance on each end to the abutment, so as to get it centered.

We set it 2" below the top of the abutment, so as to allow for the 2" rough decking we will be installing, hopefully soon..!!

Then had to measure down to the seats on the abutment, for the length of the legs to be attached.

Luckily, the contractor had a piece of 8"X8"X5/8" wall square tubing laying around in the yard, to make the legs out of.

Attachments

• DSC01217.jpg
    DSC01217.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC01219.jpg
    DSC01219.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 1,297
  • DSC01221.jpg
    DSC01221.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC01223.JPG
    DSC01223.JPG
    955.4 KB · Views: 256
   / Moonville Rail Trail
Here's some shots of the welder getting one of the legs in postion, and welding it in...

Wish now I'd have backed up, and got a picture of the complete job...

Oh well..., maybe when we put the fresh coat of paint on, and decking & side rails...

They did install another one about a mile from this one. They utilized 1 1/2 cars for this one. Haven't seen it yet....

We also have two more bridges donated to us from highway projects, as soon as they are replaced by the new ones...

This is what I do for "fun"..., LOL....

Attachments

• DSC01230.jpg
    DSC01230.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 336
  • DSC01229.jpg
    DSC01229.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 412
  • DSC01226.jpg
    DSC01226.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC01225.jpg
    DSC01225.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 269
   / Moonville Rail Trail #5  
Ah, becareful of The Moonville Breakman! A song from a bluegrass band, a great band too, from your neck of the woods, The Rarely Herd!

/ Moonville Rail Trail #6  
Very cool project, thanks for sharing, and for your time!

/ Moonville Rail Trail
Thanks Bo..!! I've heared, of The Rarely Herd.., but never had the pleasure to hear them play. I'll have to look into this a little more when I get time. I did find their website, and the lyrics to the song...

Moonville Brakeman -Jeff Weaver, Rarely Herd Music, BMI

Don't ever go down by Moonville, don't you ever go at night

You might see that old Brakeman toting a coal oil light

Down along the track...no I'm not going back.

He got too old for braking, or so the story goes.

And he turned hard to the bottle when he heard that whistle blow.

Then came the train...and he couldn't get out of the way.

He gave all he had to the steel rail line.

Now and then, where the tracks have been,

you can still see the Brakemans light.

There's nothing left of Moonville, not one inch of track.

The stores and homes have long since gone,

like the weed ridden pile of slag.

But there's a train, and at night you can hear it sing.

He gave all he had to the steel rail line.

Now and then, where the tracks have been,

you can still see the Brakemans light.

Don't ever go down by Moonville, don't you ever go alone.

You'll see that drunken Brakeman, you'll hear that whistle moan.

Then feel a chill, when the Brakeman disappears.

You'll feel a chill...when the Brakeman disappears

/ Moonville Rail Trail
Here are a few pictures of the Moonville Tunnel. We make it a point to ride out to the tunnel at least one time, while horsecamping at Zaleski State Forest. It's an approx. 8 1/2 mile ride from the horseman's camp.

Note in the one picture, you can see "Moonville" laid in the brick face of the tunnel.

The one picture is of me, and my trusty steed enjoying a "cookie break" at the far end of the tunnel... We both love our Oatmeal Raisin cookies..!!

Local legend has it, that the brakeman in the above song lyrics had a tad too much to drink, and got caught in the tunnel when a passing train went through...

Other stories of people being struck by a train, on the nearby railroad trestle over Racoon Creek...

While riding there, or doing trail maintenance.. I have seen cars from as far away as N.Y. State, and N.J. along the Twp. road nearby, to take pictures of the tunnel.

Attachments

• DSC00738[1].jpg
    DSC00738[1].jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 531
  • DSC00735[1].jpg
    DSC00735[1].jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 300
  • DSC00733[1].jpg
    DSC00733[1].jpg
    713.2 KB · Views: 232
  • CA182XLF[1].JPG
    CA182XLF[1].JPG
    377.1 KB · Views: 251
   / Moonville Rail Trail
Here's a link to some printable trail maps, if you ever decide to swing this way... I got so tired of going places, and no maps in the mapbox at the trailhead.

I went to the "powers that be" in the OHC, and asked if it would be possible to post maps on the site... They said it sounded great, but ask the webmasters... They said it would be a piece of cake, just send them to them in PDF form...

So started collecting, scanning, and sending them the maps... I get a new map every now and then that we don't have to add to the collection. I've gotten email's from as far away as Virginia, Maryland, and one from South Carolina, thanking me for having these maps on our site.. Well..., it's not all me... It's the group effort that gets it done...

Trail Maps