Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,499
    Location
    Maine
    Tractor
    Deere 3520 Cab, Deere F935

    Default Pole Barn Kit - Northeast Sources

    I'm in the process of deciding what I want for a garage/shop.. something on the order of a 30x40 building of some sort...either Pole or Stick built. Probably the final decider will be cost.. I'm planning on this being a 100% DIY project no matter which way I go... I've been googling for 2 days but cant find any sources in the Northeast?

    Where in the Northeast (Maine or NH Specifically) can a person find sources for a Pole Building kit?
    Anybody know of anything?

  2. #2
    New Member thebonepile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    13
    Location
    South Dakota
    Tractor
    Deutz 7120 from junkyard

    Default Re: Pole Barn Kit - Northeast Sources

    Menards ??

    actually, if u have an idea of what u are going to build , and can buy the rafters, the rest is just lumber and screws and nails and tin - available in a lot of places.....
    Last edited by thebonepile; 10-07-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: add'l info

  3. #3
    Super Star Member dave1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,984
    Location
    Industry, Maine
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40

    Default Re: Pole Barn Kit - Northeast Sources

    You can take your basic building plan to an engineered truss manufacturer. They will design and build a truss that meets your needs for your locale. It would be good to have some guidelines in mind like pitch, width of eaves, gable end eaves or not, snow load rating, attic space or not, scissor truss needed, etc. They will probably tell you 99% of what you really need to know. This does not add to the cost, it's the way contractors buy trusses for their projects.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

  4. #4
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,499
    Location
    Maine
    Tractor
    Deere 3520 Cab, Deere F935

    Default Re: Pole Barn Kit - Northeast Sources

    Quote Originally Posted by thebonepile View Post
    Menards ??

    actually, if u have an idea of what u are going to build , and can buy the rafters, the rest is just lumber and screws and nails and tin - available in a lot of places.....
    No Menards around here...

    I know its not exactly rocket science but the whole allure to me of a Pole building was to get something dropped off as a kit and with little/no cutting or head scratching I could just start assembling....quick, easy, and theoretically cheaper.
    If I have to do all the calculations, running around for materials, cutting, etc... I may as well just go down to my local lumberyard with a rough pencil sketch with rough numbers of what I want and they can drop everything off I need for a stick built.

  5. #5
    Super Star Member dave1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,984
    Location
    Industry, Maine
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40

    Default Re: Pole Barn Kit - Northeast Sources

    Quote Originally Posted by Spudland_Dave View Post
    No Menards around here...

    I know its not exactly rocket science but the whole allure to me of a Pole building was to get something dropped off as a kit and with little/no cutting or head scratching I could just start assembling....quick, easy, and theoretically cheaper.
    If I have to do all the calculations, running around for materials, cutting, etc... I may as well just go down to my local lumberyard with a rough pencil sketch with rough numbers of what I want and they can drop everything off I need for a stick built.
    Spudland_Dave - The lumber yard could no doubt do the same for pole barns if they will do that for stick built.

    Are you on the fence about which type of construction you want?

    Are you up in The County?

    Dave.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

  6. #6
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,499
    Location
    Maine
    Tractor
    Deere 3520 Cab, Deere F935

    Default Re: Pole Barn Kit - Northeast Sources

    Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    Spudland_Dave - The lumber yard could no doubt do the same for pole barns if they will do that for stick built.

    Are you on the fence about which type of construction you want?

    Are you up in The County?

    Dave.
    Yeah I'm kinda on the fence about what I want.... With little ones HOPEFULLY on the way, we dont want to spend a fortune in one shot...I've read MANY sites saying that Pole barns go up quick & cheap, but once you insulate, finish, etc... them they end up at about the same price...which works for me. Cheap now to get a structure up & sealed up, and I can just do the rest little by little myself as funds allow.

    Things that are certian regardless of build type....Vinyl Siding - MUST Match the house exactly. Roofing..she wants it to match the house (Expensive asphalt shingles) and I want steel... other then that, only other requirements are it must be weather tite... :-)

    Both my wife and I are originally from the County...still go up at least every other month...now we're "down south" like everyone else from up there.

  7. #7
    Super Star Member dave1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,984
    Location
    Industry, Maine
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40

    Default Re: Pole Barn Kit - Northeast Sources

    Quote Originally Posted by Spudland_Dave View Post
    Yeah I'm kinda on the fence about what I want.... With little ones HOPEFULLY on the way, we dont want to spend a fortune in one shot...I've read MANY sites saying that Pole barns go up quick & cheap, but once you insulate, finish, etc... them they end up at about the same price...which works for me. Cheap now to get a structure up & sealed up, and I can just do the rest little by little myself as funds allow.

    Things that are certian regardless of build type....Vinyl Siding - MUST Match the house exactly. Roofing..she wants it to match the house (Expensive asphalt shingles) and I want steel... other then that, only other requirements are it must be weather tite... :-)

    Both my wife and I are originally from the County...still go up at least every other month...now we're "down south" like everyone else from up there.
    I sort of sensed you hadn't decided. I am all for vinyl siding, I have painted and stained enough! Have better things to do. I am not saying it's the prettiest thing, but it is practical.

    I guess the major difference in the starting out price would be that a pole barn provides it's own foundation so to speak. I have seen people bank 1 1/2" clean stone up against the bottom board pressure treated lumber to keep the wind and critters out, then go back and pour a slab later - or not.

    I don't know of any practical away to stick build without a slab or frost wall to start with.

    You'll sort it out over time. Good luck on those Little Ones!

    Dave.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

  8. #8
    Bronze Member Bigturk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    75
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40se with cab

    Default Re: Pole Barn Kit - Northeast Sources

    Here are a couple of cool videos on Building a Pole Barn.



    YouTube - Fast Barn

    YouTube - My Garage


    Good luck with your project Dave.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member buckeyefarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,464
    Location
    MD
    Tractor
    Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4

    Default Re: Pole Barn Kit - Northeast Sources

    Quote Originally Posted by Spudland_Dave View Post
    I'm in the process of deciding what I want for a garage/shop.. something on the order of a 30x40 building of some sort...either Pole or Stick built. Probably the final decider will be cost.. I'm planning on this being a 100% DIY project no matter which way I go... I've been googling for 2 days but cant find any sources in the Northeast?

    Where in the Northeast (Maine or NH Specifically) can a person find sources for a Pole Building kit?
    Anybody know of anything?
    Pole is stick built, the sticks are just put together slightly different. The "kits" are essentially most of the material packaged and delivered together. You still have to cut the wood, cut the metal some (angles and door openings) and probably add a bit more lumber (bracing material was not included in my kit).

    When I built mine I designed it first myself, did a material take off, and decided the kit was less expensive. With the kit the metal was already cut to the proper lengths, I didn't have to worry about the proper length to order, etc. My kit also came with bags of concrete mix for footers, which I hadn't expected. I needed to buy more concrete mix though, as my code required larger footers than what the kit had planned for. I also ordered extra parts that wasn't in the kit, such as base trim, bolts to connect header to the poles, extra skirtboard, and I added different overhead doors.

    most of the lumber stores sell pole kits, wickes, 84 lumber, carter lumber, menards. depends on who is in your area. Pole barns are rather easy to design, look at some plans and you can draw your own.
    Pole Building Kit Plans :: Pole Building Packages by APM

    this site shows you everything you need to know. They have nice kits, I bought from them. I don't work for them, but I should .
    L3940HSTC, QA FEL, BH92
    L5030HST,QA,FEL
    MF 205-4
    Husqvarna YTH24V48LS (the other orange)
    KK Finish Mower, KK Tiller, 6' rotary mower, Pallet forks, PHD, Blade, Carryall, cultivator, 2 wheel barrows, assorted gardening tools,

  10. #10
    Veteran Member buckeyefarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,464
    Location
    MD
    Tractor
    Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4

    Default Re: Pole Barn Kit - Northeast Sources

    Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    You can take your basic building plan to an engineered truss manufacturer. They will design and build a truss that meets your needs for your locale. It would be good to have some guidelines in mind like pitch, width of eaves, gable end eaves or not, snow load rating, attic space or not, scissor truss needed, etc. They will probably tell you 99% of what you really need to know. This does not add to the cost, it's the way contractors buy trusses for their projects.
    This way works also.

    Also,
    You can also put poles on a normal frost wall w/ footers by using metal post brackets. conventional footers, post frame building.

    Side posts are normally 8' oc, but if you put doors on the sides that might change. For 40' long you will have 5 bays, or 6 posts per side. Your end posts can be a little further apart.
    L3940HSTC, QA FEL, BH92
    L5030HST,QA,FEL
    MF 205-4
    Husqvarna YTH24V48LS (the other orange)
    KK Finish Mower, KK Tiller, 6' rotary mower, Pallet forks, PHD, Blade, Carryall, cultivator, 2 wheel barrows, assorted gardening tools,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.