concrete slab for compost

/ concrete slab for compost #12  
I'd go with 6" and rebar. Put gravel under the slab and around to drain off any moisture or you'll have a messier area than you think. The idea of some pipe under the slab is worth a look.

/ concrete slab for compost #13  
I would build the slab level with the ground at the access side and slightly sloped up from the center to the sides for some drainage -- make it 6" with rebar or chopped fiberglass. I would get it ready(dug and formed) then phone the redi mix supplier and see if you can get a part load when they are going nearby ( cheaper). Make the "stalls" at least 2 feet wider than than bucket and make sure it is in a location where the prevailing wind blows the odour away :rolleyes: -- JMHO

/ concrete slab for compost #14  
just to add a thought but when you pour the concrete you may want to set something to support your upright posts if you are not going outside the slab for them. I wold set them on the concrete and with those 4X4 post brackets you could always replace the posts if needed using the same bracket.

/ concrete slab for compost
Thanks for all the input. Please keep it coming if you have more. I am not sure if I will get to this before winter or not. The wife has been in charge of getting the info needed but maybe I should take a look at some of the links supplied here just to make sure she is still on track. What size rock should I use under the slab for drainage?

To respond to a couple of posts. I like the idea of getting a truck in but I don't have good access for large trucks anymore. I think I will just have to bite the bullet and rent a portable mixer and try to bang it out with that. My volume is coming from one horse and one pony not by the dump truck load. She is filling one muck bucket a day. I was thinking of pounding some posts in just outside of the slab for the back and sides. Now after thinking a bit using some plates on the slab sure would make life easier when the posts rot out. I was also thinking of using PT wood to make the back and sides. Now thinking about the bacteria needed to compost well that might not be a good idea.

Thanks,
Eric

/ concrete slab for compost #16  
just my opinion but think PT wood would be ok. Some that I have seen also leave a gap in the boards. nothing that large but a gap. I guess it lets the pile breath a little.

/ concrete slab for compost #17  
For rock under the slab I'd just use crusher run.

/ concrete slab for compost #19  
My composter is made out of PT and it has never stopped things from composting:p. If you have to mix the concrete by hand, maybe you want to use limestone screenings and old interlock instead? Leave gaps in the side boards and use wire if you use big gaps:rolleyes: My composter is made with posts in the ground with stalls made from old deck boards. My old tractor had a narrower bucket than the current one hence the build wider thought:eek:. I just packed sand as a base although the concrete sounds nice but with the bucket on float I have never really had a problem. Make sure the back is strong so you can push the pile against it with the bucket to turn it. I moisten the pile regularly and my friends do as well if they have been drinking my beer:rolleyes:

/ concrete slab for compost #20  
I want to make one for leaves etc, hopefully I'll have some scrap 1X from the Iron Hill Shed Project to make one, otherwise I'll just get me some pallets. We got a whole heap of leafs...