Pole Barns and Concrete Pads

/ Pole Barns and Concrete Pads #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
What is the recommended method for pouring a concrete floor under a pole barn? I'm still seriously considering building a 24'x40' barn and I am thinking it might make more since to use pressure-treated posts sunk 3' in the ground and pour the concrete around them for the floor. The outside of the "poles" could be used for the concrete form and the rest of the structure could be built over the floor.

I'm trying to reduce the amount of trenching, leveling and form construction, but am concerned about durability and longevity of the structure. Your experiences are appreciated.

/ Pole Barns and Concrete Pads #2  
What is the recommended method for pouring a concrete floor under a pole barn? I'm still seriously considering building a 24'x40' barn and I am thinking it might make more since to use pressure-treated posts sunk 3' in the ground and pour the concrete around them for the floor. The outside of the "poles" could be used for the concrete form and the rest of the structure could be built over the floor.

I'm trying to reduce the amount of trenching, leveling and form construction, but am concerned about durability and longevity of the structure. Your experiences are appreciated.

Set your posts and build the barn first. The ground doesn't have to be perfectly level but the barn does. Build it so the bottom stringer is high enough to give you the depth of concrete you want. Fill the barn ground level with "chips and dust", tamp it, and pour it.

/ Pole Barns and Concrete Pads #3  
Not sure what it's called but the concrete stuff you put between the joints, wrap it around your poles to keep the concrete from touching the wood. When I told a buddy I was building a pole barn he told me to do this...but I'm too poor for concrete so I'll go dirt and then get some limestone.

/ Pole Barns and Concrete Pads #4  
I prefer to build a floating slab and keep the lumber out of the ground.