How much topsoil?

/ How much topsoil? #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
A few weeks ago I spent $15,000 on my place having a road built, a 1.5 acre pond dug, and paids built for my shop and house. The fill dirt and the dam dirt is all clay that came out of the pond down to 10 feet deep or so. It is dense yellow clay and I doubt if anything would ever grow in it. We haven't had any rain, but I'm afraid the first good rain will wash my clay away and there will be big gulleys where the clay used to be. Looks like I need to spread some topsoil in over it with my 2710 and try to get some winter grass growing before I lose it.

My question is, how much topsoil is needed for a decent turf in north central Texas. I was figuring on about 4". I figured on planting bermuda in the spring, or doing hydromulch on some if I run into any $$ between now and then. I guess its too late to get bermuda going good enough between now and the monsoons (if there is a monsoon).

/ How much topsoil? #2  
Alan, 4" of top soil sounds good. If you want bermuda grass, you might try an annual rye to hold it through the winter. My neighbor rolled out sod in December last year, and with the mild winter we had, had a solid yard this year with no washes. Annual rye can be mowed before it seeds and you can seed or sod over it next spring. Only drawback is it leaves root clumps that makes it hard to get real level. If you decide to put down sod, just be sure to keep it watered all winter, if it is wet it will survuve mild freezes pretty well. If you put some ammonium nitrate on pretty heavy you could keep it growing into late November. I'm a little north of you so your climate is a litle different so my dates may be a little off for you. Here landscapers won't guarantee bermuda after the first of September.

/ How much topsoil? #3  
Alan, I agree with EddieW. He's pretty well summed up the experience I had in town several years ago. Forget Bermuda after the first of September.

Bird

/ How much topsoil? #4  
I do not have much clay in Connecticut but a ton of rocks. When I clear land, which is often, I tear it up with a bucket, and rake, and rake, and rake. It is often gravel but I always say, if it is on top it must be topsoil! I have always been able to get the grass to grow, sometimes I need to add fertilizer and lime but it always grow. Do not miss understand, if I could afford to use topsoil that was delivered I would in a second!