Storage Shed Rat Wall?

/ Storage Shed Rat Wall? #1  

gusg

Silver Member
Tractor
B7510 with R4s
I am going to put up a 12 X 20 Building to house my tractor and some other stuff. I finally found a ready made shed with a high enough door. Anyway I can get the concrete cheap enough ($500) for just a slab. Do I need a rat wall (18" recommended)? I am not sure if this size shed will be susceptible if critters burrough under it. We do have chipmunks and other burroughing critters in the area. I am probably going to be selling the property in a couple of years. Thanks.

/ Storage Shed Rat Wall? #2  
Gus, I think I live near you and all I can say is that I have a pole barn (24x40) on a slab and all kinds of critters dig under it. I also have a shed that just has a wood floor. Nothing has ever dug under it. Go figure.

/ Storage Shed Rat Wall?
Has the slab survived? No settling or cracking? How long has it been up? These are my concerns. I also would like to do it without a permit. Although I have heard that my township (Addison) wants a permit for anything larger than 10' X 10'. That is ridiculously small for a rural area.

/ Storage Shed Rat Wall? #4  
concrete allmost allways cracks when the slab is larger than 10 X 10 unless it's re-enforced. Make sure it's on virgin, packed soil, some gravel underneath for drainage and wire screen for re-enforcement.

/ Storage Shed Rat Wall? #5  
Gus, here's what I would do - pour an Alaskan slab, the perimeter s/b 24" wide and 12" deep, and the slab floor is 4" - 6" deep, (code up here is 6 inch floor, which is overkill for a shed).

The profile will look like an upside down box:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX

/ Storage Shed Rat Wall? #6  
My slab is about three years old and it has not settled or cracked. The cement contractor compacted the soil and really put alot of effort into doing a nice job. The critters digging under my slab seem to be mice and voles. These creatures don't dig large enough burrows to create any cracking or settling yet. I hope. I am in Lapeer county.